Charcoal Run

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dunstablegrizzly

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Dunstable, MA
Down to my last bag so I let the wife know I need to do a quick charcoal run. She was like yeah go right breakfast and get what you need! I come back with this lol!!!!

Attachments

• received_2502783366704105.jpeg
    received_2502783366704105.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 53
I've heard that the expert grill brand the walmart charcoal is made by royal oak so it is the same stuff in a different bag, anyone else heard this? I've tryed the cheap Walmart charcoalband I can tell any difference from the royal oak.

I've heard that the expert grill brand the walmart charcoal is made by royal oak so it is the same stuff in a different bag, anyone else heard this? I've tryed the cheap Walmart charcoalband I can tell any difference from the royal oak.

It’s possible. I’ve heard the cheaper stuff could be the cast offs of the same briquettes. Broken pieces etc.

It’s possible. I’ve heard the cheaper stuff could be the cast offs of the same briquettes. Broken pieces etc.
The bag I got was all while peices I held one up to a royal oak peice looked the same to me.
At 5.99 for 16lbs normal price it does the job when the really good sales aren't going on.

Walmart's Expert Grill, Home Depot's Embers, and several grocery store brands are all Royal Oak Ridge "seconds." The Royal Oak bags have Ridge briquettes with perfect stamps that weigh 1 ounce each. The store brands have broken pieces, imperfect stamps, and some briquettes with partially carbonized wood shavings. I've used both and found zero difference in performance or taste between them.

My guess is Lowes is switching to a store brand and off-loading the name brand version. I'd expect to see the introduction before the Memorial Day weekend.

Walmart's Expert Grill, Home Depot's Embers, and several grocery store brands are all Royal Oak Ridge "seconds." The Royal Oak bags have Ridge briquettes with perfect stamps that weigh 1 ounce each. The store brands have broken pieces, imperfect stamps, and some briquettes with partially carbonized wood shavings. I've used both and found zero difference in performance or taste between them.

My guess is Lowes is switching to a store brand and off-loading the name brand version. I'd expect to see the introduction before the Memorial Day weekend.
Yeah last time I was in Lowes they sold all the RO and had a different brand for 7.99 for 16lb bag. Sorry but I can't remember the name of the new brand they went to. For my money I'll just stay with the expert griller bag for 5.99 16lbs until th other stuff goes on sale for cheaper. I only use 1 chimney in my offset smoker as a base to getbabbit started then I add sticks of what ever wood I'm smoking with as need throughout the cook. And I have a little 14in weber kettle style grill only uses about 1/2 chimney. The rest of my grills/ smoker's are propane.

Hmmm. Looked on my local Lowes website and they had the Royal Oak Classic (Ridge briquettes) on sale for $1.99 for a 15.4 lb bag at a clearance price.

They had a bag labeled RIDGE only at the $7.98 for 16 lb bag. It's all Royal Oak.

I bought 40 bags because my local Lowe’s had them on clearance for 1.99 per bag.

Attachments

• 4B5ACD4D-5C69-4F28-BEE6-66A2196FFCBF.jpeg
    4B5ACD4D-5C69-4F28-BEE6-66A2196FFCBF.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 20
I'm down to my last couple of bags Waiting on a big sale

Gary

I remember when Kingsford went on sale one holiday. 12 bags in the back of my Mini Cooper. Talk about some some strange looks from people.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky