Char-Griller Smokin Pro with firebox- Mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ive been reading this post for days. I just got my CG Outlaw and haven't even put it together yet but I'm for sure going to do some mods and smoke it up. Thanks for all the advise Jason

Sure would like to find another shaker basket like they had at Lowes...I'm on my last one (I bought spares). Its coming up to Spring time...........
Yeah, i could not find any either but I did follow the advice of many on this thread and made one out of the expanded metal.  I have zero mechanical ability and girlie arms but I was able to make about a dozen snips in the links and bend a basket into shape, use re bar tie wire to tie to together and a file to take of the sharp points.  I did need a little help from my 11 month little girl but we got 'er done and it took no longer than fifteen minutes.

Last edited:
Just fired up my CG Outlaw for the first time to season it. Works like a champ, did Sommer of the recommended mods but still defiantly need to seal the lid. Threw a big fat steak on it for a test run. I couldn't be more happy. Can't wait to smoke something bigger.

So I may have just found something as a replacement for the charcoal box. I dunno if anyone has posted this yet, but since I am getting my Smokin Pro next week, I have been planning out my mods for it.  I found this in the process!  http://www.homedepot.ca/product/non-stick-shaker-basket/909933

I know the old basket was discontinued, but it seems they released a non-stick version. Same dimensions and all.  My only concern would be that the non-stick coating would not hold up to the charcoal burning directly on it and would release other things into the main chamber.  What do y'all think? Is it safe?

So I may have just found something as a replacement for the charcoal box. I dunno if anyone has posted this yet, but since I am getting my Smokin Pro next week, I have been planning out my mods for it.  I found this in the process!  http://www.homedepot.ca/product/non-stick-shaker-basket/909933

I know the old basket was discontinued, but it seems they released a non-stick version. Same dimensions and all.  My only concern would be that the non-stick coating would not hold up to the charcoal burning directly on it and would release other things into the main chamber.  What do y'all think? Is it safe?
I would not use that. I am sure the coating would not hold up, the basket itself may not either as its not very thick

just bend one up out of expanded metal. then you can make it any size you want.

I would not use that. I am sure the coating would not hold up, the basket itself may not either as its not very thick

just bend one up out of expanded metal. then you can make it any size you want.
Agreed.  That looks to be less robust than the fire grate that comes with it, and that doesn't hold up at all.  Plus, who knows what chemical residue the non-stick surface will kick off when it burns.  They sell expanded metal at Home Depot and Lowes.  Just look near where they have their plate steel, flat steel, angle iron, etc...  It's usually near that.

did your char griller not come with cast grates but i use expanded metal to cook on in other grills work just fine and you get the cool grill marks to boot

Sorry, I should have clarified. I am buying my Char-Griller in the coming weeks. I am just trying to plan my mods out ahead of time. I just like the idea of expanded metal as a cooking surface. Grill marks and all. Ideally I will make all of my mods, run it through some burn off smokes, and then start cooking.

First post but I've been reading this entire forum for a bit and I've spent a good while on this thread.I've had a Char-griller main grill for about seven or so years. I just got the SFB a week ago in order to convert it into full smoking. Up until now, I've been using a Brinkman electric bullet. Not great, but good enough to get me started with smoking. But I'm ready to take it to the next level and I got the SFB to do just that.So far, I've done the chimney mod, got a piece of sheet metal for the firebox baffle, and put in two grate-level thermometers. I seasoned the firebox earlier this week and everything seemed on-point.Today, I decided to do a full run and smoke two slabs of ribs and three rib tips. I used tin foil to make temporary seals on the smoking chamber and to use as a reflector on the SFB. I'm having no trouble maintaining 200 degree temps on both ends and the ribs are doing real good right now. I figure about another couple of hours and they'll be ready to come off.The next two mods I'll do will be on the firebox. Right now, I'm using the factory fire box grate. If it breaks down like everyone says it will, then at least I will have gotten one good smoke out of it.Before I sign off; I want to say that every post on this thread has been amazing and helpful. I'll post back later to let folks know how everything turned out.

First post but I've been reading this entire forum for a bit and I've spent a good while on this thread. I've had a Char-griller main grill for about seven or so years. I just got the SFB a week ago in order to convert it into full smoking. Up until now, I've been using a Brinkman electric bullet. Not great, but good enough to get me started with smoking. But I'm ready to take it to the next level and I got the SFB to do just that. So far, I've done the chimney mod, got a piece of sheet metal for the firebox baffle, and put in two grate-level thermometers. I seasoned the firebox earlier this week and everything seemed on-point. Today, I decided to do a full run and smoke two slabs of ribs and three rib tips. I used tin foil to make temporary seals on the smoking chamber and to use as a reflector on the SFB. I'm having no trouble maintaining 200 degree temps on both ends and the ribs are doing real good right now. I figure about another couple of hours and they'll be ready to come off. The next two mods I'll do will be on the firebox. Right now, I'm using the factory fire box grate. If it breaks down like everyone says it will, then at least I will have gotten one good smoke out of it. Before I sign off; I want to say that every post on this thread has been amazing and helpful. I'll post back later to let folks know how everything turned out.
Kragshot, afternoon and welcome to the forum..... Starting a new thread would be better than posting on this thread....  You will get better exposure to your questions....

Please take a moment and stop into " /[color= rgb(128, 0, 0)]Roll Call[/color]/   " and introduce yourself and get a proper welcome from our members.... Also, if you would note your location in your profile, it will help in the future when answering questions about smokin'...   elevation, humidity etc....    

We're glad you stopped in and joined our group...    Enjoy the long smokey ride....     Dave

Hello all im new here first post actually...
So glaf I came across this thread as i needed Helo with my offset.I wanted/needed even heating temps and by reading this thread I think I found my soultion.
Below is a couple pix I tipo of a diffusrer and tunning plates
So my question is on this smaller pit is it to much ir just rite? Cuz I.am not sure about the hear diffuset I made.any Helo would be great!

First post but I've been reading this entire forum for a bit and I've spent a good while on this thread. I've had a Char-griller main grill for about seven or so years. I just got the SFB a week ago in order to convert it into full smoking. Up until now, I've been using a Brinkman electric bullet. Not great, but good enough to get me started with smoking. But I'm ready to take it to the next level and I got the SFB to do just that. So far, I've done the chimney mod, got a piece of sheet metal for the firebox baffle, and put in two grate-level thermometers. I seasoned the firebox earlier this week and everything seemed on-point. Today, I decided to do a full run and smoke two slabs of ribs and three rib tips. I used tin foil to make temporary seals on the smoking chamber and to use as a reflector on the SFB. I'm having no trouble maintaining 200 degree temps on both ends and the ribs are doing real good right now. I figure about another couple of hours and they'll be ready to come off. The next two mods I'll do will be on the firebox. Right now, I'm using the factory fire box grate. If it breaks down like everyone says it will, then at least I will have gotten one good smoke out of it. Before I sign off; I want to say that every post on this thread has been amazing and helpful. I'll post back later to let folks know how everything turned out.
I'm curious about what you meant by a reflector in the SFB.

Do you use tuning plates?  It seems like if you only have a baffle you'd still get really hot temps on the SFB side.  I know I usually do.  But that also depends heavily on the amount and shape of meat I put in the cooking chamber.  That really seems to disrupt air flow and I haven't found a way to get smoke after smoke temp consistency across the grates.  Some I'm dead on, and others I've been off by 30* or so.  

I like all the mods but I do use mine for a grill from time to time & it would be a pain to remove all the mods to grill. The only thing I do & have good luck with is to use the original Charcoal Pan with aluminum water pans as a baffle/tuning plate.
I'm not a craftsman and I wanted to use mine for grilling on occasion, as well.  My solution was simply to turn the charcoal pan upside down, drill a bunch of holes in it, and push it up against the SFB.  For the most part, it has served me well for that past 8+ years.

Hello All,

Getting ready to do some of the mods this weekend. One question i have is the Rustoleum High Heat paint safe to use insode the CC and inside the Firebox? Both of these areas are getting a bit rusty on mine.

Great thread with a ton of info.

THanks

Chris 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky