Char Broil Analog Woes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mellowcheddar

Original poster
Oct 21, 2018
Sabina, OH
Hello fellow smokers,
I’ve had a Char broil analog smoker for a while and have finally had time to start cooking with it (I’m laid off… I have all day). But this thing has no airflow control whatsoever and my smoke’s just getting smothered out. Tried running it without the drip pan, that barely helped. I am just about ready to rip it up and mailbox mod it, but if there’s any way around cutting a 3” hole in this smoker I am all for it. I’m also considering drilling some holes in the chip tray, but if the air isn’t moving it won’t make any difference.

I’ve tried dry and wet (and a combo of both) chips in the tray, I have the Amazen maze, nothing works because there is no way that I can find to get the air moving through this thing. Nothing will stay alight.

I have had a Masterbuilt before and it caught on fire. Before that I had a bullet smoker that I got at a yard sale, but somewhere in a cross-state move that got lost.

Anybody got any ideas?

TIA :)

Whether its for a mailbox mod or air flow for the unit itself,drilling holes is pretty much your only option.

If memory serves me correctly your smoker has the chip tray inside the smoker...I'd do the mailbox mod.You don't necessarily need to make a 3" hole either...most mailbox mods are done to the MES which has a 3" hole for the chiploader,you have some flexibility there.

Whether its for a mailbox mod or air flow for the unit itself,drilling holes is pretty much your only option.

If memory serves me correctly your smoker has the chip tray inside the smoker...I'd do the mailbox mod.You don't necessarily need to make a 3" hole either...most mailbox mods are done to the MES which has a 3" hole for the chiploader,you have some flexibility there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky