Channeling…

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
Mrs. Smoke put beef salads on the menu for tonight. i went to the meat market and picked out a nice top sirloin. My plan was to rub it overnight, freeze it for several hours, smoke it gently over apple, then reverse sear. Looking for validation, I decided to search the forum for “top sirloin”, and one of the the first hits was from chef chef jimmy.

He presented all of the missing details to fill in my plan. I followed his instructions and the steak came out great. He is still helping out!

8618DD25-1EBF-49E6-910B-08BA34972A95.jpeg

The salad had a lemon EVOO dressing, with fried onions, sliced peppers, and Rogue Creamery blue cheese. The greens are from our garden. The wine is a 2014 red blend from the Columbia Rive Gorge on the Washington side.

1701A0B4-F2D8-429A-8FBC-3469CDF3D55E.jpeg

Thank you chef chef jimmy!

Beautiful! Great cook and awesome tribute! Chef Jimmy helped me a lot too, it is an amazing memory to keep going.

Reactions: OldSmoke
Awesome, that steak is perfect for salad, I'd certainly have seconds. I haven't tasted that red blend, will have to find it. Great dinner.

JJ would be proud of that dish. I looks great.

Point for sure
Chris

Awesome, that steak is perfect for salad, I'd certainly have seconds. I haven't tasted that red blend, will have to find it. Great dinner.
It was from Syncline, a small and very high quality winery across from Hood River on the Washington side.

Thanks for the likes everyone. It is good to be back cooking again.

I can't think of a better legacy to leave behind than one of teaching, and teaching that continues even after we leave. It felt good to find his guidance and follow it. That is one of the reasons this forum is so special, so many people sharing and helping, even when things don't go right.

Yes, it looks very tasty! And a great way to remember Chef JJ! He has helped many of us and continues to do so.

Ryan

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Very nice-looking steak, a remembrance of a great man. I' had the fortuning to have meet JJ at a gathering at pcfarmers a couple years ago.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky