Changing lean-fat ratio in burger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
I want to change 80/20 burger to 75/25. How much tallow do I need to add per lb? They had no 75/25. I’m have a brain fart on this. Reason is I’m making venison burger & like to mix 1 lb 75/25 to 4 lbs of deer. Really helps hold together plus adds the right amount of fat. Have tried 80/20 & to lean for my liking.
Thanks in advance.

not sure if the rendered tallow works the same as just the raw beef fat mixed in the 80-20 but, to add 5% fat would take approximately { .8 } of an oz of fat per lb of meat or 4ozs per 5 lbs of meat. maybe i'm not thinking this correctly??

Reactions: mr mac
Thanks!
I gave more thoughts into it & ended up with putting a little over 2 oz in 2.5#. Guess now wait for first use to see. The meat cutter at the store acted like 75/25 is hard to come by. So thought I’d start with small batch of mixing my own because I have a bunch more burger to make. Plus now I have tallow to use up.

not sure if the rendered tallow works the same as just the raw beef fat mixed in...
This is a true statement as it will melt much faster than beef suet leaving you with a crumbling burger or loaf.

I think it was Bearcarver Bearcarver that added bacon to his deerburgers if you want an another idea. My math came to .8 ounce per pound to add.

I ground some bacon and added to my burgers and not sure if I had too much or what but the meat fell apart when cooking, I will stick to frying it and adding to burger when building lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky