Celebration ham.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Seems I recall hearing about these on here. Never had one. And the cooking process is new to me for a ham.
Sear in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350. Cook for 45 minutes. Or until IT hits 140.
From what I've read. A celebration ham has no extenders. Guess I'll find out soon!
20220413_025849.jpg

And the results are in.
P4160010.jpg

Ready for the oven for the sear for 15 minutes at 450 degrees. Then drop to 350 until IT until it hits 140

P4160015.jpg

Out of the oven and resting.
P4160016.jpg

After resting for 30 minutes. I removed the fat cap. No points for neatness. This will be sliced for sammies or pizza topping. The fat cap was almost 1.5"thick. Saved to render.

P4160018.jpg
P4160019.jpg

Time to taste. The ham was very moist and tender. The fat cap did this well. The taste is really good. Though the salt level could have been less. At 6.29 a pound. This is worth the cost for lunch meat. Or for a meal.

Looks great . That high heat in the beginning , then lowering for the cooking is a classic method for roast beef .
At 6.29 a pound. This is worth the cost for lunch meat. Or for a meal.
Agree . We must think the same . I base it off 10 bucks a pound for lunch meat , and about a 1/2 pound serving per person . Makes that cheap eats .
I'd snack on that all day right out of the fridge .

Agreed about the lunch meat statement.....I'm gonna take a day and smoke turkey breast, ham, and roast beef for sammichs. Then slice and vac seal to freeze. Deli meat is getting crazy expensive.

Jim

Wow!! That ham looks delicious, although $6.29/lb is a little steep for pork. $10/lb for deli ham?? A year and a half ago you could get it for $4.49/lb or less. I have absolutely had it with this runaway inflation. It’s just stupid. The farmers, truckers, average joe, etc aren’t making anymore $. It’s just some greedy corporations and crooked politicians pocketing more. This can’t sustain itself. Thanks for sharing pictures of the celebration ham. You did a great job with it and I hope to find one near me.

Interesting; I've never heard of it before. Looks good, though. How was the commercial smoke level?

Looks really good Steve. I'd be grinding a section of that there ham up for some ham salad. Ummm Good.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks awesome! I need to get after that that. Would be phenomenal on pizza! Great post! Points!

Looks delicious Steve, tomorrow is Sunday, I'd be thinking Eggs Benedict! I don't pay six bucks a pound for anything except Dungeness crab, my meat slicer has more than paid for itself over the years, haven't been to a deli since I got it. Retired, no rush to shop till something comes to me. RAY

Reactions: Nodak21
I just noticed myself that deli meat (even at walmart) has joined the "WTF" price club. I like to make queso dip like you get at the Mexican places - which is just white american cheese, milk, and canned green chilis all nuked together. For me - Food Lion store brand always had the best flavor. I was at a Food Lion Saturday and that stuff was 7.49 a lb. Nah - I'll pick up a lb at walmart.....

Get to walmart yesterday - it was 7.29 a lb. Ham was 9$ something for the one I like (I do like a healthy portion of shaved ham once in a while on a sub roll with a couple of thick slices of that white American). 6 months ago that cheese at both stores was 4.99 - and often on sale at Food Lion for 3.99. The ham was probably 6$ last time I bought it.

Since when is a ham hoagie a splurge meal? Yeah....

50% inflation. Not the 8-12% the government reports - but 50%. I'm gonna be eating cardboards steaks braised in swampwater if this keeps up.....

Reactions: Nodak21
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky