Cedar Smoker Exterior Finish Options

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scarce

Original poster
Mar 2, 2016
Hi,

I am building a smoker with cedar on the exterior. It is insulated so the exterior shouldn't be in any direct heat. I would like to put some sort of oil finish on it to preserve the look of the cedar so it doesn't go grey, what are my options? With the finish being applied on the outside, how concerned do I need to be with non-toxic/toxic or flammable/non-flammable options?

Jeff

Many companies make wood sealers (Thompson, Cabot, Olympia to name a few. I like Olympia.) The problem with clear sealers is that they don't block uv rays and won't keep your cedar from turning grey. Tinted or semi-transparent sealer/stains can help preserve "look" of new wood somewhat. They should be reapplied yearly, or at most every other year. I wouldn't worry a bit about toxicity or flammability since it is going on the exterior.

If a link is allowed here's Olympia's sealer page:
https://www.olympic.com/colors/stain/woodland-oil

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky