Catchin' a Spatchin'

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Unique Name

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
Greetings, y'all.
So for my second smoke I'm thinking about a couple spatched chickens.
If I'm understanding correctly, smoking birds is usually done at higher temps (325-375+?)
With this heat would it be smart to use a large lump mesquite instead of briquettes?
Also, any general time on a 4 pounder around those temps?
I'd be rocking an 18 WSM.
Any and all advice, info, replies are greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

I dont care for Mesquite on poultry. Its one of the strongest smoke flavors out there and can be over powering. If you have access to lumps of oak or hickory I would try that and toss in some fruit wood to mix it up. Thats just my opinion and the flavor profile I like. Are you planning on brining?

Reactions: Unique Name
I just did two spatched yard birds yesterday. Both of them were 7 pounds. Didn’t brine. Added butter under the skin on the breasts. Rubbed the outside. Ran 325 with apple wood. Took about 2 1/2 hours to hit 160. Chicken was crazy juicy with great smoke flavor
upload_2019-1-21_22-14-37.jpeg

Reactions: Unique Name
I just did two spatched yard birds yesterday. Both of them were 7 pounds. Didn’t brine. Added butter under the skin on the breasts. Rubbed the outside. Ran 325 with apple wood. Took about 2 1/2 hours to hit 160. Chicken was crazy juicy with great smoke flavor
View attachment 386142
To be honest, I saw your post and that's what gave me the idea for some squakers...
Thanks for the tips and info.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I dont care for Mesquite on poultry. Its one of the strongest smoke flavors out there and can be over powering. If you have access to lumps of oak or hickory I would try that and toss in some fruit wood to mix it up. Thats just my opinion and the flavor profile I like. Are you planning on brining?
Hadn't thought about brining. However, I grill my chicken over mesquite and enjoy the flavor, but it's probably more intense in the smoker, huh?

Hadn't thought about brining. However, I grill my chicken over mesquite and enjoy the flavor, but it's probably more intense in the smoker, huh?
It can get a little intense but if you like it by all means dont let me talk you out of it. What I would say is try some fruit wood in with it. I was never a brine guy until I tried it. Its not necessary for sure but the benefits are definitely noticeable. SmokinVOLfan knocked his chicken out of the park. I would probably simulate what he did If I was going to copy a cook. I took one of his recipes recently and it was awesome

I agree mesquite can be strong on poultry. If you like it and want to use it - then cut back on the amount of wood you normally would use. You can always increase on your next yardbird. You'll also have to start the WSM with more lit charcoal to get it up over 325*. Whole bird at 350* is about 20 min/pound. Saptched will probably be shorter. Use your therms for doneness.

Chris

Personally I like mesquite on chicken. It's a relatively short smoke & for our taste, it doesn't seem overpowering.
But we all like a different level of smoke flavor, so do some experimenting & try a few different wood combo's until you hit the right one for you!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky