cast iron sausage cooker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

So I like sausages and recently found wildforks has some pretty good ones. the problem i have is sometimes cooking them. I tried cutting in half lengthwise, straight cooking em and air frying em with mixed results. Bratwurst was the consistency of ground beef so was hard to cut. When you try and do em regular they curl and I didn't have much luck simmering em. I saw this but it's $71 lol :<(. Anyone seen something similar for cheaper or have advice for cooking sausage that's not quartered.

https://www.amazon.com/UPAN-6s-Cast...mzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

I doubt that pan will prevent the sausages from curling. You can try to brown the sausages. Then add 1/4"of water to the pan and cover. This can prevent some of the curling. Over cooking them will increase the curl as well.

I had not tried that lol. Kinda inconvenient for a couple brat dogs but I will give it a shot. You put it on racks or just on a sheet pan?

Extra step, but I like SVing mine in advance. Par boiling could also work. Takes the guess work out and then the cook is fast. No real way of getting around it, cooking fresh sausage takes longer than you expect. If you rush you fail. I'd say most people don't do it properly.

I doubt that pan will prevent the sausages from curling. You can try to brown the sausages. Then add 1/4"of water to the pan and cover. This can prevent some of the curling. Over cooking them will increase the curl as well.
My Mom and Grandmother would always add a little water to the frying pan when cooking sausage.
Something like this may also work on the grill

1676040677689.png

Reactions: Steve H
My Mom and Grandmother would always add a little water to the frying pan when cooking sausage.
Something like this may also work on the grill

I learned that from a neighbor when I was a kid. Works really good for thick sausage patties. It'll get the sausage cooked through without charcoaling the surface.

Reactions: gmc2003
Hey All,

So I like sausages and recently found wildforks has some pretty good ones. the problem i have is sometimes cooking them. I tried cutting in half lengthwise, straight cooking em and air frying em with mixed results. Bratwurst was the consistency of ground beef so was hard to cut. When you try and do em regular they curl and I didn't have much luck simmering em. I saw this but it's $71 lol :<(. Anyone seen something similar for cheaper or have advice for cooking sausage that's not quartered.

https://www.amazon.com/UPAN-6s-Cast-Iron-Sausage/dp/B08PDTHRTC/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2FLB8RI6ZQSFZ&keywords=Cast+Iron+Sausage+Pan&qid=1676010369&sprefix=cast+iron+sausage+pan,aps,136&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc
Ve(r)(r)(r)(r)y Interesting........... like to know how it comes out. Never thought about cooking a sausage and trying to make it come out straght to cook evenly. IMO If you want straight sausages you'll have to make them yourself. Using man made fresh sausage casings like johnsonville sausages use in their breakfast links. They fry up pretty straight. I've tried the man made fresh casings but didnt have any luck. They exploded when I fried them. Didnt go any furthur exprerimenting with them. I think I needed to let them sit in the fridge overnight before cooking....

Last edited:
Reactions: negolien
because it cooks unevenly
The cajun way is braising. Put the sausages in a pan with water half way up the links. Bring to a rolling boil. Poke some holes to let a little fat out to fry. When the water is gone, the links will start frying. Add a splash of water every now and then to pull up the stuck sausage juice off the pan. Flip and fry until the links are fried to your liking. They will cook evenly with the water.

Something like this might work:

Reactions: negolien
Natural casings always benefit from liquid poaching, this is my experience, but remember that low and slow is absolutely key, not hot and fast. Good things take a little time.

Reactions: negolien and DougE
I generally grill them or run them thru the smoker with something else. Once you poke a few holes in them, like Indaswamp, they cook just fine. Sometimes I'll cook several packs and freeze. Then re-heat as needed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky