Cast Iron Pan Refurbishing Project

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
B Buckeye1 That pan that's marked 8 . . X D caught my eye . Looks like a early '30's to 50's Birmingham Stove and Range Red Mountain series . Looks to me like the marking was done by hand , which would make it early in the date range .
I think the No. 5 - 8 1/2 " is a BSR also . Nice pans .

No doubt the one pan is hand marked. The depth and angle of the marks make it look that way. Curious numbering system. Gonna have look up today while watching games. Thanks for the info, history of stuff is really fascinating.

Reactions: chopsaw
. Curious numbering system. Gonna have look up today while watching games. Thanks for the info, history of stuff is really fascinating.
Yup , I agree . Info on that was hard to find . I'll PM you a couple links .

B Buckeye1 That pan that's marked 8 . . X D caught my eye . Looks like a early '30's to 50's Birmingham Stove and Range Red Mountain series . Looks to me like the marking was done by hand , which would make it early in the date range .
I think the No. 5 - 8 1/2 " is a BSR also . Nice pans .
Good catch on the BSR. I checked a few sites this morning and everything matched BSR. I attached a photo of the handles which to me confirms your identification!! If I read correctly the v shape on the handle is a BSR.

I will check those links you sent also. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_9945.jpg
    IMG_9945.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 33
If I read correctly the v shape on the handle is a BSR.
I think that's correct . I had just ran across the marking when I was researching some I have . It's fun to do the research and know what you have .
My oldest is a 1940's to mid 1950's Lodge .

Thanks for the link to that thread. That is pretty much the same pan!
There was a link in the thread and I think it helped identify the third pan as a Wagner Sydney, OH pan. See attached.

Attachments

• IMG_9938.jpg
    IMG_9938.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9941.jpg
    IMG_9941.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20220130-132219.png
    Screenshot_20220130-132219.png
    157.3 KB · Views: 30
So I was cleaning up and sorting through wife's nice collection of kitchen stuff (S@#$) in the basement, when I stumbled upon the three CI pans shown in the attached photos. So I ask where did these come from and the reply was "Oh I forgot about those. I found the at a garage sale a few years ago." Which I translate to at least 10 years ago HaHa.

anyways I have read a things on how to recondition these and really not sure how to attack. So I thought I would ask the knowledgeable group on here to give me some ideas on how to reconditioned and season these beauties. There is no name on bottom only a size stamp and Made in USA stamp. They seem quite old. I hope maybe she found a diamond in the rough!

I am open to all suggestions and comments, thanks in advance and Happy New Years!
That is not to bad at all. i would use a SOS pad for the hard scrubbing then a bit of coaster salt with grape seed oil to finish it out. Then wash dry and place in a 200 degree oven for 10 min and oil.

So I have been cooking with the 3 pans when possible, even added a new Lodge dutch oven.

Anyways the one pan was pissing me off. Everything I cooked seemed to stick in it. I reseasoned twice. Anyhow, I started using it a bunch and added more oil than really needed when cooking. After a few weeks this has become my go to pan for scrambled eggs. It just reinforces what everyone says. The more you use it, the better is performs!

Last edited:
So I have been cooking with the 3 pans when possible, even added a new Lodge dutch oven.

Anyways the one pan was pissing me off. Everything I cooked seemed to stick in it. I reseasoned twice. Anyhow, I started using it a bunch and added more oil than really needed when cooking. After a few weeks this has become my go to pan for scrambled eggs. It just reinforces what everyone says. The more you use it, the better is performs!
I agree with more oil (and more use)...more oil sure helps prevent a sticky pan.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
A friend of mine just gave me a Wagner, a Griswold, a lodge skillet also a ribbed Goldcoast. The three skillets haven't been used in a really long time. There is a very hard substance on them that looks like rust forming under the seasoning. Is it necessary to completely reseason these skillets?

Attachments

• Griswold Skillet.jpg
    Griswold Skillet.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Gunk on Skillets.jpg
    Gunk on Skillets.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Wagner Skillet.jpg
    Wagner Skillet.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 14
  • More Gunk on Skillet.jpg
    More Gunk on Skillet.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 13
Those look to be in really good shape. That Griswold is a beauty. I think the junk is just some burnt build up. Some kosher salt and a chain mail may clean that up. I think you can give them a wash and start using. The blotchy look may be over oiling or someone tried to re-season and put it on too thick or not enough thin coats. Is it sticky?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky