Cast iron Italian Zucchini Boats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
My wife’s been tending a friends garden while they are away on an Alaskan cruise. Amongst the bounty is a bunch of nice zucchini. They are bigger ones so the first thing that came to mind was these. These are simple but delicious. Started out by browning a couple lbs. of Italian sausage.
3225FD9C-D650-485E-A7E6-A9BCEB08E20B.jpeg
Once the sausage was cooked some I mixed with with a jar of Victorias Fradiavolo and a small bag of Parmesan
CBE1A4C4-9A91-4EE1-8D68-F44D7D18AD35.jpeg
DE651475-3FD0-4F50-8520-22C04D54D8C4.jpeg
541E811D-232D-48E0-A5B4-02218DA36C78.jpeg
Scooped our the center of a couple nice zucchini and filled them up.
EE9F3AEB-0BF0-45CB-BD24-C1B1B2C3D527.jpeg
EEA97E54-989E-4948-B257-6055299D011D.jpeg
I prepped a couple bags of sweet peppers , mushrooms and sautéed in some olive oil
80D4EE6E-BAE5-441B-A34E-48595932F441.jpeg
Cut these cherry tomatoes and put them in just about 10 minutes before the finish so they didn’t cook away.
201319DF-EA01-4518-852C-EB0DFFC9A05D.jpeg
Mixed another jar of the Victorias sauce with the roasted peppers and shrooms, added a nice handful of kalamatta olives and capers. Boats in the middle covered with a blend of fontina and provolone.
93931B91-DDAC-4D70-B5E3-AAE5C0DA3CA5.jpeg
into ether oven for about 45 minutes. Mixed in the tomatoes about 10 minutes prior to the finish. Topped off with a healthy amount of fresh minced parsley and basil.
0D279A1B-57AA-43DC-8983-8F5B1B02BB30.jpeg
B9C7B62A-9A43-45E1-A27F-298CC8AC40FF.jpeg
That’s a wrap. Actually baked 6 more boats on a sheet pan. Simple but delicious meal. Wife and I both devoured some. This truly is a great. Thanks for looking.

Those zucchini boats look delicious Jeff! I could definitely get behind one of those for sure! They sure as heck beat a stuffed bell pepper. Excellent job my friend.

Reactions: jcam222
Great looking meal! Haven't done a boat this summer, but the colors of yours sure gets me planning. Nice job & thanks!

Simply astonishing Jeff!! Another super creative and delicious meal. That all just looks so amazingly gorgeous it'd be impossible to turn down a plate of that. Very well done my friend and it's great to see you getting time to cook up something nice. Seems like it's been a while. I too will be stealing this :emoji_wink:

Robert

Looks amazing!! Our garden is producing right now too, so I love the recipes that can use the fresh stuff. Thanks

Dilicious! Hope my garden produses useful size ones. If not there is always the farmers market I can visit. Damn so many outstanding food posts I'm gaining weight just lookin! Keep it coming!

Just beautiful Jeff and another amazing cook !
Over the top and worth a trip on the spinner !

Keith

Wow, look very good!! Thanks for sharing your recipe for them.

Those zucchini boats look delicious Jeff! I could definitely get behind one of those for sure! They sure as heck beat a stuffed bell pepper. Excellent job my friend.

Wow Jeff. Another home run. I going to have to do this.

Great looking meal! Haven't done a boat this summer, but the colors of yours sure gets me planning. Nice job & thanks!

Absolutely jawdropping! Stupendous my friend! I'm stealing that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JC222, looks like another great way to use up some zucchini!

Nice cook Jeff !

Simply astonishing Jeff!! Another super creative and delicious meal. That all just looks so amazingly gorgeous it'd be impossible to turn down a plate of that. Very well done my friend and it's great to see you getting time to cook up something nice. Seems like it's been a while. I too will be stealing this :emoji_wink:

Robert

A beautiful piece of work Jeff, looks absolutely stunning, and delicious! RAY

Nice Jeff, it all looks great and creative. We have done various spaghetti squash boats never a zuch one.

Looks amazing!! Our garden is producing right now too, so I love the recipes that can use the fresh stuff. Thanks

Beautiful meal Jeff. Definitely going to try this out. Nice work as usual bud

Jeff,
Thank you for sharing this. Outstanding.

Stu

Really fantastic, Jeff. We love fresh, home grown zucchini and stuffed is even better...:emoji_thumbsup:

Wow! That is next level stuff! Thanks for sharing, I might have to try this one day

Dilicious! Hope my garden produses useful size ones. If not there is always the farmers market I can visit. Damn so many outstanding food posts I'm gaining weight just lookin! Keep it coming!

Just beautiful Jeff and another amazing cook !
Over the top and worth a trip on the spinner !

Keith
Thanks all of you for checking out my post and the comments. These are so tasty they are almost gone. Sent some to the neighbors and one to my buddies. Wife and I both love them and have lots more zucchini to use. I’ll probably bake more tomorrow. I have another version I’d like to do soon too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky