CAST IRON COOKING ON MY LANG FIREBOX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I'm sure this is done all the time, but it was totally new to me. I had a pork loin in the Lang this morning & had some splits sitting on the firebox warming them up.

They started to smoke & Judy says, "I wonder if you can cook on there". About 10 minutes later she comes out with a cast iron pan with potato's, & onions. She put some EVOO & butter in the pan too. I moved the splits & within just a couple of minutes the pan was sizzling away on the firebox. I'm thinking this is really cool! All of the possibilities, OH my!

Anyhow I really wasn't going to take any photos today, but I had to take one of the potato's cooking on the firebox.

Here we go.

The pan was getting so hot she put some foil on it to get the potato's to cook all the way through.

We were having rice with it too, this stuff is really good.

I moved the Lang to a different part of the yard. I think it likes it there.

Potato's are done. Just about the same time as the loin.

I didn't get any prep photo's of the loin, but I smoked it just like I always do. In a pan to 140 IT, with some broth in the pan.

Then rest it for 30 minutes.

They always come out juicy this way. After slicing I put the slices back in the pan with the juices.

Then on to a plate. The potato's turned out really good, and the rice went well with everything else.

Now I'm thinking I just picked up a nice brisket a couple of days ago & plan on smoking it this week.

I probably will start it around 3:00AM, so when the firebox gets good & hot I'm thinking bacon & eggs in a big cast iron skillet for breakfast.

Maybe get some pastrami out of the freezer for Reuben's for lunch. Or maybe pancakes for breakfast & grilled cheese for lunch. Or maybe a cheeseburger.

Wow my head is spinning!

Anyhow, thanks for looking guys!

Al

That is awesome Al ! That sure looks tasty... Both Judy & yourself were on your A game for that meal ! Thumbs Up Another point I owe ya !

Al that looks great I have been doing cobblers,and corn bread in my grill.Cast Iron is great for cooking Points

Richie

points.gif

That Final Plate is Killer, Al.
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Looks mighty Tasty!!
drool.gif

That reminds me of the times our electric was out for 5 and 6 days.

I got to use my Gas Grill a lot, and even some Breakfasts on my Lopi "Liberty" Woodstove:

View media item 523094

Last edited:
Al everything looked great! Enjoyed reading and looking at the pics.
All your meals are mouth watering!
Points on that one my friend Thumbs Up

Nice looking loin Al, great idea on the cast iron cookin.

I think you should never let the ol Lang cool off, at least until maybe late this fall.

Like you said, bacon, eggs, rubens, cheeseburgers, etc, etc, etc, and the list goes on!

Keep up the good work, and looking forward to some more interesting cooks from you.

Looks great Al! I use my cast iron in my smokers and gas grill all the time.

Points!

Al that looks great I have been doing cobblers,and corn bread in my grill.Cast Iron is great for cooking Points

Richie

points.gif

That Final Plate is Killer, Al.
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Looks mighty Tasty!!
drool.gif

That reminds me of the times our electric was out for 5 and 6 days.

I got to use my Gas Grill a lot, and even some Breakfasts on my Lopi "Liberty" Woodstove:

View media item 523094

Nice looking loin Al, great idea on the cast iron cookin.

I think you should never let the ol Lang cool off, at least until maybe late this fall.

Like you said, bacon, eggs, rubens, cheeseburgers, etc, etc, etc, and the list goes on!

Keep up the good work, and looking forward to some more interesting cooks from you.

Nice it looks great!
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it!

Thanks for the points too!

Al

Wow, I never new you could use the top of the firebox as a cooktop.

That's really cool.

The meal looks great too! 
icon14.gif

Great looking food Al, I got that IQ 130 temp controller from Pitmaster. Gave it a test Friday when I put on two butts. It held at 225 the whole time. And the app for my IPhone was simple to use. It was worth the $269.00 I paid.
Back to that loin what did you rub it with and did you inject it? I can get those for 88 cents a pound but I have never had one turn out very well. Tender at 135 140 but not real tasty.
By the way cooking on your fife box is pretty cool. Can't do that on the WSM.
Randy,

Love cast iron potatoes and those look excellent! I cooked on my firebox all the time on my old patio smoker and I would put cast iron with potatoes in the smoker sometimes too. Then when I got my first trailer rig it has a couple propane burners on it. These work great complete heat control and the uses are endless. Have done a lot of sweet corn boils on those over the years!

Great looking meal and yet another use for the lang   
points1.png

Gary

We use cast iron on top of the firebox frequently on our Horizon offset. We also use a Lodge cast iron trivet underneath the skillet/Dutch oven for those times the heat needs to be slowed down a bit.

Reactions: crazymoon

Wow, I never new you could use the top of the firebox as a cooktop.

That's really cool.

The meal looks great too! 
icon14.gif
Thanks, I'm learning something new everyday!

Al
Well, I guess that answers my question as to whether the Langs have an insulated firebox or not.
You got that right!

Al
Great looking food Al, I got that IQ 130 temp controller from Pitmaster. Gave it a test Friday when I put on two butts. It held at 225 the whole time. And the app for my IPhone was simple to use. It was worth the $269.00 I paid.
Back to that loin what did you rub it with and did you inject it? I can get those for 88 cents a pound but I have never had one turn out very well. Tender at 135 140 but not real tasty.
By the way cooking on your fife box is pretty cool. Can't do that on the WSM.
Randy,
Thank you!

I used my regular pork rub & injected it with Creole butter. It came out real good. Check out "juicy pork loin" in my signature line.

Al

Great looking meal and yet another use for the lang   
points1.png

Gary
Thanks Gary!

Al

We use cast iron on top of the firebox frequently on our Horizon offset. We also use a Lodge cast iron trivet underneath the skillet/Dutch oven for those times the heat needs to be slowed down a bit.
That's a good idea, cause the pan got really hot!

Thank you!

Al
One of my favorite foods is Amarican fryed potatoes and onions fryed in bacon greese until they are all Caramelized, a little bacon in there don't hurt either.
I agree, you can't beat anything cooked in bacon grease!

Al
That looks great Al! I'm going to have to try that with the new smoker!!
Thanks Lance!

Yea it was pretty cool!

Al

Pancakes and Eggs and Reubens oh my! Nice job Al. Points for ingenuity!

I got a brisket in the freezer calling my name while I sleep at night. Think I might do it this weekend.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky