Casings?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

damon555

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Middle Tennessee
I had been using natural hog casings that were purchased at one of our local sporting goods stores....I guess there are what you would call "seconds". Short bits and pieces packed in plastic bags. The last time I needed casings I couldn't find them in stock anywhere in my area. As luck would have it I ended up ordering a hank from The Sausage Maker's web site. I must say these are some impressive natural casings. Very long...in fact so long that I needed to snip them to create some manageable sized lengths. They also appear to be much fresher than the other crap that I was buying. Needless to say I will never skimp on casings again. It is such a pleasure to work with these casings that I almost enjoy the stuffing part!

If you haven't done so yet do yourself a favor and try some of these....You will not be sorry.

Next step is flushed and tubed...way easy to work with...

Craig

Looks great!!

Craig
yeahthat.gif

Your sausage looks great, nice work.
I just placed an order with The SausageMaker. I like thier product and fast shipping.

Last edited:
I had been using natural hog casings that were purchased at one of our local sporting goods stores....I guess there are what you would call "seconds". Short bits and pieces packed in plastic bags. The last time I needed casings I couldn't find them in stock anywhere in my area. As luck would have it I ended up ordering a hank from The Sausage Maker's web site. I must say these are some impressive natural casings. Very long...in fact so long that I needed to snip them to create some manageable sized lengths. They also appear to be much fresher than the other crap that I was buying. Needless to say I will never skimp on casings again. It is such a pleasure to work with these casings that I almost enjoy the stuffing part!

If you haven't done so yet do yourself a favor and try some of these....You will not be sorry.
Thanks for the recommendation on where to get sausage casings. I'm gearing up to make my first batch of hot dogs, and wasn't sure where to get good quality small diameter hog casings.

Thanks for the recommendation on where to get sausage casings. I'm gearing up to make my first batch of hot dogs, and wasn't sure where to get good quality small diameter hog casings.
Sheep casings 22M work nice for hot dogs.

Good to know!  Thanks, Woodcutter.  So is this what you would recommend?

http://www.sausagemaker.com/22200sheepcasings1-111624-26mmcannotshipoutsideus.aspx

Clarissa

P.S. - Sorry for the hijack, Damon.
Two folks have received VERY bad sheep casings from Sausage maker ... I would buy that someplace else.

Also, a 22mm casing for a hot dog is pretty small IMO.  They will end up ~ 3/4" in diameter.  I personally find it too small and prefer a minimum of a 28mm, preferable a 32mm cellulose for a nice skinless dog. 

Two folks have received VERY bad sheep casings from Sausage maker ... I would buy that someplace else.

Also, a 22mm casing for a hot dog is pretty small IMO.  They will end up ~ 3/4" in diameter.  I personally find it too small and prefer a minimum of a 28mm, preferable a 32mm cellulose for a nice skinless dog. 
Yes, those will work better than hog casings.
If this is your first time with sheep casings you might consider pre-flushed and tubed casings, they are a lot less frustrating to use. SausageMaker doesn't offer them (yet). I got a nice batch last time from Syracuse Casing. check them out.
http://www.makincasing.com/x/product.php?productid=10&cat=10&page=1

I like mine in the 24-26 range.
Thank you everyone for the advice and suggestions on sheep casings for hot dogs!  Much appreciated!

Clarissa

I've made hot dogs using the skinless casings and liked the end result (no casing) but that was the first time my MES screwed up and the temps went outta control and I nearly burnt my house down. hot dogs fell out of the skinless casings and caught on fire. EEK. I've also made them with hog casings and they were fantastic. I used sheep casings for the first time recently and what a pain in the butt! Lots of blow outs. They are much more delicate than hog casings and be prepared for a little bit of a funky smell with the sheep casings. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky