Casings.... Natural vs collagen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hondabbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 25, 2014
Canada
I have made fresh and smoked sausages for a few years now, always using natural casings.
I also have been making snack sticks for years using collagen casings.

This morning I grabbed the last package of breakfast sausage, so I need to make more.

I started to look online as I can’t buy locally in smaller amounts for sheep casings. As I read I found people use collagen for fresh sausages. Breakfast and the like.

The reading I did led me to believe that “fresh” collagen casings are for fresh sausage and the “ smoked or mahogany” casings are for snack sticks and other sausages to be smoked. The latter being a bit stronger to be able to be hung where the former is less tough fir easier eating.

How do collagen casing cook up in a frying pan or on a grill? Is it similar to natural?

Any info with personal experience is very much appreciated.

Similar but not the same. Okay for most folks. I cold smoke alot using collagen, and using LEM product for smoked sausage, 32mm size, and it is hit and miss -- sometimes tough, sometime wonderful. Probably the chef, tho! Cold water bath helps at the end. I think my worst casings were when I didn't do that. I usually cold smoke, sometimes warm. R

You peel them off of a cooked sausage?
The only thing I use collagen for is snack sticks and sometimes the cases just come off almost by themselves. If they don't I just eat em.
I've never made fresh with collagen. I have read though that most commercial sausages are collagen and they fry ok.

Like Al, I am not a fan of the eating experience with collagen casings. I rarely use them, but I may start using them with my salami making as I would not need to truss the links, and it will be removed (to remove the mold) anyways. Also, cheaper than natural bungs and such.

Like Al, I am not a fan of the eating experience with collagen casings. I rarely use them, but I may start using them with my salami making as I would not need to truss the links, and it will be removed (to remove the mold) anyways. Also, cheaper than natural bungs and such.
I use edible collagen casings and have no trouble at all. I eat them as I would fresh although they taste different They are okay easier to work with and here in Canada much easier to get.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky