Casing recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bnew17

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I made a bunch of link sausage (deer & wild hog) last year using a bag of casings I got from a local business. They stunk to high heaven! When I grilled the sausage or even smoked the sausage I did not like the "bite" to the casing at all. It did not have the snap I was hoping for....you had to really bite down and almost rip the bite out. Of course this makes a huge mess when you have a sausage dog with mustard everywhere. I smoke/grill the sausage to temp so I don't think it could be over cooking that causes it, but would really like to hear what casings you all prefer that give you a good snap texture.

browneyes has the right of it, if a casing stinks unless its a bung let it go.

As to the bite, I don't think that is any indication of if the casing is good. Normally a tuff or chewy casing means it was rushed thru smoking or it just wasn't allowed to dry enough. Sausage casings should snap when bit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky