Casing question...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ellymae

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 21, 2009
Southeastern PA
Hey folks. How long does natural casing last? The stuff I have has been in the bag it came in in my fridge for about ten months. Can't tell by smell cause it smelled nasty to begin with. :eek:

Thanks... Elly...

Never  seen a site saying to discard after a certain date.  Change the water, add some salt and put back in fridge.  A box of baking soda helps with the smell!  Keep them cool, wet and salted and they will last a LOOOONG time.

Last edited:
Thanks guys - appreciate the responses.
Have to say, the smell of the casings ALMOST kept me from making sausage... glad I got over that.

/ message sig

I would not use iodized salt. Purified salt would be the best

We have used casing from Butcher Packer that were almost 2 yrs old.  No problems at all with stuffing, taste, or texture.  The packages hadn't been opened and were stored in the fridge. 

I've used hog casings 1+ years old from butcher-packer, stored in the fridge with salt... no issues.  The sheep casings that were a year old smelled particularly funky so I ordered some new ones.

icon_cool.gif

Now thats a good question Elly. I have never had casings very long. But it would be nice to know thou.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky