Carpetbag Steak with Qview~!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whiskeyfoot

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
So, I found this recipe in my smoking cookbook, and it has intrigued me ever since I found it.  According to the wikipedia, carpetbag steaks were popular in the 50's....I'd never even heard of it before. So here goes!

b0023ea1_IMG_20120623_165523.jpg

Start off by cutting a pocket in your steak (I think this was a top sirloin).  Pick one pretty thick, but not too huge. I cut mine with a pretty small slit instead of butterflying it, the pocket goes deep into the meat.  The recipe called for dry rubbing the steak, etc, but I decided to go with a soy based marinade (it was Dale's).  I marinaded the meat for about 45 mins, then pulled it out to cut the pocket.

c11f0504_IMG_20120623_165530.jpg

I opted to go with pre-shucked oysters, as I don't have a good shucker tool.

3535278f_IMG_20120623_165624.jpg

Stuff the guys down into the pocket you made.  This recipe didn't call for any seasonings inside the steak, but I think next time I'd add a little somethin' somethin' in there...at least some jalapenos or something, though I love how oysters taste alone.  It would be worth an experiment next time.  

e0360a2a_IMG_20120623_165756.jpg

Sorry for blurry pic, but wanted to show the toothpicks sewing up the end keeping em nice and cozy inside.

4a4d43e4_IMG_20120623_174116.jpg

Since this whole recipe was a mind-blowing experiment in the first place, I decided to try using my tiny lil Smokey Joe Weber to smoke this guy and some ABT's.  I have a Cabela's Electric, but have been finding that I prefer using charcoal.  Just shoved all the charcoal to one side indirect style and some mesquite chips.  I thought it would be difficult and tight on space, but it was awesome for a mini smoke! Maintained a perfect 225 the entire two hours!

87af6c1b_IMG_20120623_190100.jpg

Time to pop her open!!

da07338d_IMG_20120623_190404.jpg

All I can say is holy heaven! Surf and turf for real!!!!  Give it a shot, it literally cost me $9 and was incredible!!!!

Enjoy! -J

Looks great! That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Looks good and got me thinking.  Maybe stuff pocket with crab.

I was thinking the same thing! Crab, shrimp or lobster stuffed steaks! :drool
I'm going to have to give that a try real soon!

Thanks!  Yeah it's definitely something different! I think the only thing I'd change next time is GARLIC!  Stuff some garlic in with the oysters, and maybe a dash of some creole seasoning or something, just to add a little flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky