Carnitas (Sorta like moms)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Making carnitas for some street tacos tonight.

I think this is how my mom made it.

Poblano
onion
jalapeno
lime and orange
garlic
tequila
1.5 cups chicken stock

carn.jpg

carn2.jpg

zest the lime and orange. Save as you will need to squeez the juice of both into the pan

carn4.jpg

carn5.jpg

carn6.jpg

carn3.jpg

Basic rub for the pork.
1 T kosher
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
ground black pepper

Rub down the butt all side.
pour a splash of tequila in the pan, add the chicken stock
carn7.jpg

carn8.jpg

chile, look
Making carnitas for some street tacos tonight.

I think this is how my mom made it.

Poblano
onion
jalapeno
lime and orange
garlic
tequila
1.5 cups chicken stock

View attachment 411352

View attachment 411353
zest the lime and orange. Save as you will need to squeez the juice of both into the pan

View attachment 411354

View attachment 411355

View attachment 411356

View attachment 411359

Basic rub for the pork.
1 T kosher
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
ground black pepper

Rub down the butt all side.
pour a splash of tequila in the pan, add the chicken stock
View attachment 411357

View attachment 411358
Great education step by step to make carnitas!! Appreciated!!
And chilerelleno, I checked your index of recipes and it is quite comprehensive. I want to make Cochinita Pibil with your ecipe. Of course in the Mayan language "Pibil" means cooked in a oven dug out in the ground and Cochinita is a young female pig. I don't have access to either so a pork butt will do . Interesting the use of "sour orange" so common all over the Caribbean. But of course this is from the Yucatan peninsula, just a skip away.

chile, look

Great education step by step to make carnitas!! Appreciated!!
And chilerelleno, I checked your index of recipes and it is quite comprehensive. I want to make Cochinita Pibil with your ecipe. Of course in the Mayan language "Pibil" means cooked in a oven dug out in the ground and Cochinita is a young female pig. I don't have access to either so a pork butt will do . Interesting the use of "sour orange" so common all over the Caribbean. But of course this is from the Yucatan peninsula, just a skip away.
Look? What?
Yeah, I'm watching for the finale.

Glad you like my Recipe Index, hope you try some recipes and that you enjoy them.
If you try the Puerco Pibil, use this version,

Look? What?
Yeah, I'm watching for the finale.

Glad you like my Recipe Index, hope you try some recipes and that you enjoy them.
If you try the Puerco Pibil, use this version,
chile, checked out your final version of Cochinita Pibil and seem wonderful, definitely will try looks delicious. I just need to pair down the heat a bit on this

Made this a few weeks back after multiple other variations of cooking a pork butt for carnitas. Definitely the family favorite! Doing again on Sunday! What else to do while on lock-down??? lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky