Careful with overnight smokes!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a stone patio section under a grill gazebo I use but I just looked at it and if the gazebo goes up in flames it will catch the pine trees too. I have nothing but forest behind me for about 20 acres!!! Yeah I think I'm going to stop the overnight cooks too!

On a deck looks to be the reason, concrete only for me,before the carport the over night cooking was done in the grass, hate it happened but every year a turkey deep frying burns some thing down some where,

This is why in 10 years of Smoking, I have done exactly ZERO Overnighters.

My MES sits on a Wood platform, on a wood porch, with a wood ceiling, next to a wood wall of an all wood Log House.
Get where I'm coming from?!?!

Bear

Bear I have a pretty good size deck with a metal roof on it. if I smoke overnight, I'ts gotta be a cool night with a camp fire to tend .. I used to work nights so it wasnt a big deal. . not sure I even want to now.. . you have a nice cabin, I remember seeing pics of it.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Sorry to hear of this happening to anyone!

I’ve said this many times here over the years, but this is the reason I won’t leave my smokers or grills unattended for long stretches of time...like going to bed and sleeping through the night, or leaving the house for any reason during a cook. You just never know when things might go sideways. Now I understand there are members here who’ve done this without incident, but when you’re dealing with fire, it only takes once for a temp spike or a grease fire to lead to a runaway cooker while it’s unattended...then the best thing that may happen is ruining an expensive piece of meat, and the worst thing is a catastrophe such as the one in the article.

Stay safe out there SMF!!

Red

Reactions: Bearcarver
Bear I have a pretty good size deck with a metal roof on it. if I smoke overnight, I'ts gotta be a cool night with a camp fire to tend .. I used to work nights so it wasnt a big deal. . not sure I even want to now.. . you have a nice cabin, I remember seeing pics of it.

Thank You PB !
It's fine Smoking overnight.
It's sleeping while smoking overnight that's bad, unless you're set up like Cabo Cabo .

Bear

Reactions: seenred
yes sir, mine is on wheels and easy to move around.. i still would not sleep though.. i have left it unattended a couple times but it was away from the house .. Scary stuff and its not just from a grease fire, it can happen to a pellet smoker to if the air gets constricted, it will cause a Auger fire that leads to the hopper !! forced air has to go somewhere..

I don't know about others but my pellet rig has both high and low temp setpoints that shut it down should things go awry.
Of course with my setup it wouldn't matter if the whole rig caught fire and melted down in place so I sleep just fine althogh I'd probably have some grease stains to clean up.
LMAO - i still have not made my mind up on mine, i like some aspects of it and some i do not.. I like my old stick burner with charcoal and wood but i hate baby sitting it while its hot as hell outside.. not to mention it needs some serious work done to it rite now.. my electric has been solid and i can use real wood to create smoke .. it has some age on it to, so do I ,, lol ,, nothing lasts forever...

we probably still eat more ash with a pellet smoker, damn fan blows it around like crazy.. thats 1 thing i do not like about them.. we may be getting off topic here LOL - Be safe folks, dont leave your smoker unattended ... ok were good now ..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky