Can't remember, please help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yercall

Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
My grandfather used to make the absolute best venison jerky. I know he would use thick cuts of meat, put string though them using a big needle, dip them in boiling water and then....... I'm pretty sure it was just salt and course pepper that he rolled them in but I'm not sure if it was regular table salt, kosher salt or what.  Our place is out in the sticks so I can’t see him getting his hands on any “cure”.  He would then hang them in a real smokehouse, feed mesquite coals to it for days and it turned out almost black on the outside and dark red and soft on the inside.  It was a big smokehouse so I don’t think it could have been hot smoked.  I've read all the threads about botulism and other food borne diseases which has made me a little uneasy about trying his method but I survived the jerky for 15+ years.  Any thoughts as to how safe this sounds?  Thanks!

Sorry, I forgot to ask the questions. A. What is the purpose of dipping the meat in boiling water?; B. Can meat be cured using kosher salt?; C. Does it sound safe?

You obviously have the internet, so order some cure #1 on Amazon. Its cheap. Just because things HAVE been done one way, doesn't mean that they SHOULD be done that way.

I'm not sure why he would dip the meat. Maybe a quick bath helps it be more tender than leathery? Maybe he was concerned with less than optimal processing practices and sanitation that often comes with deer meat? Maybe it has no purpose and that's "just the way it's always been done".

Last edited:
Well thanks for the reply.   I guess if I wanted to feel stupid.  Ya I “obviously” have internet.  Hopefully this isn’t what all newbies have to look forward to for their first post.  Thanks again eight433!!

They would dip the meat in boiling water  to get the meat to 160 degrees. This is the safest way make jerky.  Put your brine or marinade in a kettle and bring it to a boil. Put the strips into the boiling marinade long enough for the strips to get to a 160 degrees.  remove and put any extra coating spices on the jerky and dehydrate in a smoker or smokehouse.

They would dip the meat in boiling water  to get the meat to 160 degrees. This is the safest way make jerky.  Put your brine or marinade in a kettle and bring it to a boil. Put the strips into the boiling marinade long enough for the strips to get to a 160 degrees.  remove and put any extra coating spices on the jerky and dehydrate in a smoker or smokehouse.
Thanks Jerky Nut, you "OBVIOUSLY" know what you are talking about.  Sorry had to take one more shot.

Thank you and your welcome.  Just a heads up on this subject. soy sauce, pink cure and tender quick are cures used in jerky. They are preservatives not parasitic and bacterial killers.  FDA regulations say to kill  parasites and bacteria the meat should reach a internal temperature of 160 degrees or for products that must be air dried without heat they established a guideline for how long the meat must be frozen before it is considered safe for consumption. 

Not that I recommend doing it this way, BUT; the American Indian dried venison and buffalo with nothing more than the sun if I remember my history correctly. Early settlers just used a salt cure.
On the other hand, I think our stomachs are a lot more sensitive than they were then.

Thanks Gomez93 but if I remember correctly the average age of the American Indian was around 30. Probably in no small part do to food borne pathogens of some kind. I think I'll stick to the 160 degree rule lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky