Can't remember cured ham thread..HELP !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ramman123

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone !
When I first came to this great site I read a thread about curing a whole bone in ham.
It was a good read and I used the procedure and it was great.

I remember that the poster wrote that his father I believe had a business involving curing hams.
Like it was a generational family business...I think.
If memory serves me I think they cured thousands of hams.
Anyway that's what my takeaway was on his history.
If anyone might know of such a cured ham post with this type of back story could you please post a note as I would really like to read and save those instructions.

Thanks kindly for your time !
RE

Do a search for Pops brine I am pretty sure that is what you are looking for based off of the history you remember. There is another method that gets some attention here also. If you search for easy peasy ham you should find a method that involves injecting the cure in a 10% solution. Good luck!

Reactions: TNJAKE
That sounds like Pop's Brine. And FYI over a few years he made a few changes in the salt and sugar amounts to accommodate his changing diet. At one point even using one of the alternative sweeteners (maybe Splenda?). The one constant was a heaping tablespoon of Cure #1 to 1 gallon of water.

Ok great thanks very much I will check it out.
It was a great read.
Ya it was a thread by pop's...I remember reading that thread also... had pictures of the family store from way back when. Was very interesting! Not sure if I can find it but I'll try.

Ryan

See if this works!

Ryan

Reactions: bauchjw and DougE
I think they have you covered, but just remember that a bone in ham requires needle injection along the bone. Use the brine and inject about 10% of the meat weight in brine.

Pineywoods
Yes that is the thread.
Thanks for posting the link , I. Couldn't find it.

Your welcome it was trying to hide took me a few tries to figure out how to get it to show up

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky