Can't keep this thing rolling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MNholla

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 24, 2019
Minnesota
What is a good tip to keep the Maze rolling? I start it with a torch and let it flame for a minute and then blow it out and it looks like the pellets are smoldering. I put it in the grill and then it just stops smoking. Any tips are appreciated!

You need to let the flame go, 3-5 minutes to get a solid Cherry an inch deep. The Maze need A LOT of air. If whatever grill you are using isn't well ventilated the Maze won't smoke. You need to solidly fill to 1/4" from the top. My first guess? You are not letting the pellets burn long enough...JJ

What is a good tip to keep the Maze rolling? I start it with a torch and let it flame for a minute and then blow it out and it looks like the pellets are smoldering. I put it in the grill and then it just stops smoking. Any tips are appreciated!
I can tell you I have a much easier time keeping my tubes going than my maze but here’s a couple tips. Make sure your pellets are very dry, sitting outside in the summertime can even make them near unburnable. If you think they’ve been exposed to humidity, throw in the microwave for 1 minute to dry out. Also when you light i like to see a flame for ~ 10 minutes before blowing out. Relight if you need to during that time but you want a flame on them for quite a bit. Good luck

A couple of things -
1st are your pellets dry? Some people microwave them for a minute or two just to get the moisture out.
2nd What type of pellets? Cherry can be hard to keep lit by itself. It burns better when blended in with another type of wood.
3rd you need to keep the fire to the pellets for about 4 to five minutes before snuffing out the flame. Make sure they are really burning good.
4th make sure they have enough airflow to keep burning.

Chris

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky