Can't decide tri tip method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Here's the thread that started the "tri tip like a brisket" experience here at SMF. Doing it the first time felt so unnatural, but wow, the results.

That said, NO WAY would I do a tri tip like a brisket if it was more expensive than brisket. That's just silly. Do brisket!
I paid $4.98 lb. for this nicely marbled 3lb tri tip. Brisket was 6.49 lb which is ridiculous. I remember paying like $1.98 a pound for brisket a couple years ago.

Yep. Meat prices are crazy. So many factors. I've got a Choice grade packer in the chest freezer I paid $2.98/lb early last year. It might become my retirement fund if this keeps up.
LOL, forget gold and silver buy freezers and beef! This country is going to crap under Biden, another democratic puppet.

Reactions: JLeonard
White-hot red oak wood coals char flip char rest until 125 I.T. slice 1/4'' thick then get your grub on.
I've tried them smoked seared. Seared smoked, brisket style and SV sear. For everyone I know, hot and fast rest, smother in TuleLake Horse Radish and eat is the best by far.

I don't think I've ever had a bad tri-tip no matter how I cooked it. My current favorite method is to SV it followed by a delayed sear so I don't overshoot my target temp.

More importantly..... make a little sketch of the grain while it's still raw so that your first cut after cooking is in the right spot as the two halves will have a different slicing direction.
View attachment 509660
I need to save this pic!
Jim

Reactions: texomakid
I need to save this pic!
Jim
In the old days I would just make a sketch on a sticky note because each tri-tip will have a slightly different grain direction. But now with phone cameras I take a photo of every one with a knife at the position (and angle) I want to make the first cut. It's foolproof.

In the old days I would just make a sketch on a sticky note because each tri-tip will have a slightly different grain direction. But now with phone cameras I take a photo of every one with a knife at the position (and angle) I want to make the first cut. It's foolproof.
Now that is working smarter not harder. Thanks for the idea.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky