canning venison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Canning venison is very easy.  Just pack your jars with chunks of meat to within 1/2 inch from the top.  Then add 1 teaspoon canning salt per quart jar.  I then pressure at 15 pounds of pressure for 90 minutes.  Let pressure reduce on it's own, remove jars from cooker and let cool and seal.  Some say to add beef broth to the jar, but I've never found it necessary.  Been canning elk for a lot of years with no problem.

Here are the guidelines for canning strips, cubes or chunks.....

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/strips_cubes_chunks.html

Here are the guidelines for ground or chopped.....

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/ground_chopped.html

sausage.gif

Last edited:
Some folks brown the meat in a skillet with some seasoned flour on the meat.... After canning it has it's own gravy in the jar....

Reactions: greenguru
I must live in a deep dark cave or under a rock. I never herd of canning meats. Learned something new here again today. LOVE this place.

my wife cans deer the same recipe as Bassman she cubes hers and cuts all the silver skin off

it really does look pretty bad in the jars but when you cook with it it tastes just like beef

i was really surprised the first time i tryed it it was really good

Even raw meat will be cooked after pressure cooked for 90 minutes. My mother used to do beef and pork and it was really good, I wish I would have learned how to do it. Maybe it is time to do that.

You need a pressure  canner.  NO OTHER WAY WILL WORK!!!  As far as salt you dont need it it!  Ita added for taste.  I always put a piece of beef tallow in the top of the jar!  Does taste great and is easy to fix!

Reactions: greenguru
They come in different sizes but smallest is about the size of a 5 gal bucket.

You use jars.

I have never used anything other than raw meat.

Yes you put the jars in the canner with lids on them and the pressure and the cooking for 90 minutes seal the jars.

I agree that canned venison sure looks pretty bad.  But man it tastes so good!  Real convenient too.  I only add some beef bullion and onion slices and it comes out wonderful.  If I want to change the complexity of the finished dish then I add spices at the time the dish is prepared.  Very versatile.

Reactions: cowgirl
Has anyone got a recipe for canning venison with a pressure cooker?
You CANNOT use a pressure cooker for pressure canning

You CAN use a pressure canner to pressure cook.

Also it depends on the sea level your located at and on what pressure you MUST pressure can at.

BOTCHULISM KILLS and is nothing to be messed with. I have been canning for years and always follow strict guidelines.

You also CANT can with any "flour"so just brown your meat by itself and add flour to the juice at time of reheating for dinner. PEOPLE say they do it all the time but it just takes that ONCE to kill you or a loved one.

Stay safe and enjoy all your canning efforts.I suggest getting a Ball-Blue-Book and follow thier recipees.

It's Sunday morn here all this talk of canned venison I just had to pulled a jar of canned ground venison out of the cellar, threw in a pan, added onion, hickory smoked salt, course pepper, garlic,thickened with milk and flour and poured over some biscuits. Ohhhhhh son, a brothers gotta eat. n eatn good I am this morn..Have a great day kids......Ps, I ate the Qview so don't ask....lol

It's Sunday morn here all this talk of canned venison I just had to pulled a jar of canned ground venison out of the cellar, threw in a pan, added onion, hickory smoked salt, course pepper, garlic,thickened with milk and flour and poured over some biscuits. Ohhhhhh son, a brothers gotta eat. n eatn good I am this morn..Have a great day kids......Ps, I ate the Qview so don't ask....lol
Man that sounds good !!!

Man that sounds good !!!
Oh, and tasty it was. Making for the first time Pepper Stout Beef I could only smoke for 3 hrs wind is blowing so hard here in Pa. ya think there was a hurricane coming in the oven right now. Did 2 chuckers, this shiz is looking n smelling killer. Fresh Kaiser rolls a waiting.

Could I put a whole chunk of venison, like for a roast that will fit in a wide mouth jar, instead of cubes or slices ? Then slice it up later after it is canned.

Could I put a whole chunk of venison, like for a roast that will fit in a wide mouth jar, instead of cubes or slices ? Then slice it up later after it is canned.

I have canned meats... Haven't seen a recipe for BIG pint jar sized pieces.... All the recipes I have seen are for chunks or strips that require browning first... and some sort of liquid to fill the gaps in the jars... like gravy from the fond/drippings remaining in the pan after browning.... There is some sort of "law" about needing the liquid to transport the heat to hunks in the middle of the jar to fully pasteurize at 240 deg F and eliminate the possibility of botulism.... I think I read all that somewhere but I can't find it...
Anyway, use accepted methods from the USDA... DON"T use some obscure recipe from the web... There could be typos ...

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/strips_cubes_chunks.html

Last edited:
Could you cold smoke the venison cube for say 30 minutes prior to canning? As long as you are following the 4 hr rule it shouldn't be a problem right? I have heard smoke flavour intensifies when canning, so I was thinking cut it down to 30 minutes. Or would you want to smoke the whole roast for 30 minutes then cube it? As long as this is safe, I could play around with flavours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky