Canning tomatos, need help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqcrazy

Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
SpokaniQ
I am growing san marzano tomatos for spagaetti sauce during winter, but I am worried about how to can properly.

I don't have a pressure set up.

I am also wanting to can these in sauce I make from discarded san marzanos, I don't want to can them in water. It really makes a big difference in flavor when I turn these into sauce later. Water dilutes the flavor. Sounds odd, but I have been working with san marzanos for a while and it's true.

Anyway, this is what I want, to can the tomatoes in it's own sauce.

I know I have to drop the tomatos in boiling water for a second so the skin peels off.

Some of the tomatos I will make the sauce out of.

I can never find a clear article on boiling, tighten or loosen lids in the water bath, water levels, removal, lid tightening, parafin wax?

I am pretty lost. I have googled and googled and read a lot and I am not finding very clear instructions.

Another thing with san marzano tomatos, is that these are not acidic tomatos, they are sweet. If that means any thing.

Thank ya.

From You Tube:

These videos show the correct way to can tomatoes.  Without following these methods, you can maim or kill people from botulism.  A canning pressure cooking system setup is an inexpensive way to do this correctly.  Ball is the ultimate authority on canning and should be followed.

By the way, please go to Roll Call and introduce yourself so we may welcome you properly.

Important Caution: If you're water-bath canning and not pressure canning, it's highly recommended that lemon juice or citric acid be added to the tomatoes for safety.
This ensures that the pH is low enough to prevent botulinum bacteria from growing.

Here are the guidelines and instructions for canning tomatoes as well as info on water bath canning in general.
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can3_tomato.html
http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uga/using_bw_canners.html

Please be sure that you understand the procedures fully before proceeding, and if not, don't hesitate to ask questions, because, again, it's matter of safety....canning is potentially very dangerous when not done correctly.

HTH

~Martin

Morning..... Well, I learned something again today....    Tomatoes have different acidity and this site addresses that when canning.....  

I'm not sure if the site is providing correct information so that is up to you to verify their info.....  

Anyway, here is their list of maters and how to correct for their low acidity.....  Dave 

http://www.pickyourown.org/tomato_acidity.php

wow, lots of replies, I will go through them and take notes. I am new to canning. If you could taste the sauce that comes from these tomatoes, it is the best.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky