Canadian Thanksgiving weekend.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

banacanin

Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
I got my young never frozen turkey this morning from my local meat packing place, It is in the bath now (just your basics; coarse salt, pepper corns, sage, celery salt and a bit of a cheater- poultry seasoning) and in another bath I have my wood chips (Oak whiskey barrel chips, cherry wood chips, hot water, bourbon and plum brandy).  The bird will go in the smoker tonight at about 1 am and I am wondering if I will be the only cannuckistani on this website doing the same?

Welcome to SMF...

Okay I gotta ask, What is a cannuckistani?

Welcome to SMF...

Okay I gotta ask, What is a cannuckistani?
Thats a cannuck named stan eh.
icon_rolleyes.gif

That canuckistan comment came from a Newt Gingrich diatribe. We use it in a self-deprecating way to remind everyone that we are an independent country with its own values. I believe because we have "social medicine", he called us "Soviet Canuckistan." Another way to show he never read Dale Carnegie.

That canuckistan comment came from a Newt Gingrich diatribe. We use it in a self-deprecating way to remind everyone that we are an independent country with its own values. I believe because we have "social medicine", he called us "Soviet Canuckistan." Another way to show he never read Dale Carnegie.

If you do a search on it, there seems to be a religious cult that calls themselves "Cannuckistanis".

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Banacanin to SMF. Yes I do believe you are and probally will be the only Cancuckistani here. Now your bird sounds really good and I wish I could get one of those fresh turkeys. But the only turkeys I know here have a big G on their hats. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction    

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Banacanin to SMF. Yes I do believe you are and probally will be the only Cancuckistani here. Now your bird sounds really good and I wish I could get one of those fresh turkeys. But the only turkeys I know here have a big G on their hats. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction    
Dang Mark The Packers Moved to Florida?
icon_mrgreen.gif

I am really enjoying reading a lot of the threads on this site, and have already recommended the site to my brother. I am really impressed by the level of skill and willingness to share around here. I have plenty to learn yet, but I hope to eventually have plenty to offer :-)

I have a couple

The main unit I have is a Char- Griller Super Pro with the smoker attachment.  I modified it some by rigging a tomato cooker burner inside the smoker attachment. I put it in by placing the threaded part of the valve that screws into the burner through the vent hole of the smoker tray. Its good because I can take it out whenever I don't need it and because I wasn't using the tomato cooker anymore :)

I also have a cheapo brinkmann gourmet electric smoker which I just picked up. I am going to modify it some, but haven't done anything with it yet. (Other than smoke the turkey)

1 I am going to mix the lava stones with some refractory cement into a slab; this should aid in heat retention and will allow me to move the unit around easier

2 I have an old stainless steel can which I fill up with wood chips and place the charcoal on top of. This lets the wet wood chips smolder down real slow. I also use the stainless steel can to boil the wood chips (I found this is the best way to get them full of water)

3. I'm going to have to insert a thermometer on top of the unit and while I already got the drill out I might as well put one in on the side.

4 I would also like to put a tiny hole in the side where I can jam a funnel in and add water into the bowl without opening the unit up

What do you think?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky