Canadian style & back bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fran

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 6, 2019
Brittany, France
Finished off doing a Canadian style bacon & a back bacon today. I use a wet brine akin to Pop's (lower salt & sugar), with maple syrup, then crushed coriander, mixed peppercorns, mustard seeds & all spice berries that I put in an oversized 'teabag', floaters in the brine are a load of bay leaves, 4 bruised garlic cloves & two inches of fresh ginger sliced & also bruised.

I cold smoke using a ProQ with oak dust & some hickory chips scattered on top. The ProQ decided to go for a couple of hours & then burn across, meaning a refill & let it go again. After seven hours on the refill, I called a halt. I hoped that the first quick & heavy burn through hadn't spoiled it, the colour wasn't OTT & there was no ashtray or acrid smell & thankfully, it actually came out fine.

For simplicity due to disability & nobody around to help now, I finish in a low temp oven 120°c/248°f to just above 145°f IT. It comes out with a good texture, moist & tasty.

Definitely not bad, as friends came over just as I finished off & over half the CB loin went in er....tastes!!

Only took pix from the taster stage, but here they are...

Attachments

• 1 steamy après cure taster.jpg
    1 steamy après cure taster.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 2 ready to taste.jpg
    2 ready to taste.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 3 ready to get their pellicle.jpg
    3 ready to get their pellicle.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 4 A really shiny pellicle.jpg
    4 A really shiny pellicle.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 5 Now cold smoked.jpg
    5 Now cold smoked.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 6 Smoked and look glow in the dark with a flash!.jpg
    6 Smoked and look glow in the dark with a flash!.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 7 Taken to 145° IT juicy.jpg
    7 Taken to 145° IT juicy.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 8 Taster for four.jpg
    8 Taster for four.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 9 Er...another taster for four!.jpg
    9 Er...another taster for four!.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 45
Looks great . Nice job. 7 hours is really nothing when cold smoking. I mean it a short time. If your happy with it then good. I have went 72 hours cold smoking with dust. Its all what you like. Dont get me wrong, I am not putting this down. It looks and I bet it is great. Just trying to give you some info.

Could you taste the spices you added?

Reactions: Fran
Nicely done, I haven't ventured into the bacon making part of smoking, but it's on the short(long) list.

Excellent Job.
Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Fran
Thank you for your comments & advice, PCFarmer. I normally just let the ProQ burn through which is 10 - 12 hrs when behaving, which I've been happy with. This did have some heavy smoking from the burn through, which worried me, but all was & tastes good. I will at some point go for a longer two or three stage, to see how that compares though.

As for the spice taste, yes, they do come through, the all spice being the main one. The fresh garlic & ginger too, is definitely there as well.

Thanks, Chris, for the like too! Bring it to the top of your list, as you really won't regret it. I'm still quite gobsmacked every time it comes around to tasting, that I did it & how incredibly simple & delicious it is. lol

Trying to figure how much maple syrup to sub in for brown and granulated sugars for pops wet brine cure for a gallon of water. Sugars dissolve in water and adding liquid sugar in the form of maple syrup makes me wonder if i have to take an ounce or whatever of water out to compensate for a cup of syrup. I'm going to cure 2 slabs of baby backs for bacon on a stick and a whole boneless pork loin cut in thirds for back bacon. I was searching for a recipe for pops wet cure with a noticeable maple flavor without luck.

Trying to figure how much maple syrup to sub in for brown and granulated sugars for pops wet brine cure for a gallon of water. Sugars dissolve in water and adding liquid sugar in the form of maple syrup makes me wonder if i have to take an ounce or whatever of water out to compensate for a cup of syrup. I'm going to cure 2 slabs of baby backs for bacon on a stick and a whole boneless pork loin cut in thirds for back bacon. I was searching for a recipe for pops wet cure with a noticeable maple flavor without luck.
Bumping this before making the cure. Can someone please throw me a bone?

Bumping this before making the cure. Can someone please throw me a bone?

Since when I tried putting Maple Syrup right in with my Dry Cure Tender Quick, without getting any Maple flavor, I would think to mix in in with a Gallon of water, you would need a WHOLE LOT of Maple Syrup to get any taste at all.
I had the same results when I used Maple Sugar in place of my Brown Sugar.

Bear

Since when I tried putting Maple Syrup right in with my Dry Cure Tender Quick, without getting any Maple flavor, I would think to mix in in with a Gallon of water, you would need a WHOLE LOT of Maple Syrup to get any taste at all.
I had the same results when I used Maple Sugar in place of my Brown Sugar.

Bear
Since Maple Syrup is in liquid form I was wondering if I should remove a cup of water if adding a cup of syrup per gallon of water with pops wet curing brine to keep the ppm of nitrite the same. I spent a lot of time with searching maple syrup wet cure and got this recent thread which is perfect for my question but the OP didn't give the recipe and I can't get any GD help. So I'll just PM Dave. Thanks for your reply.

Since Maple Syrup is in liquid form I was wondering if I should remove a cup of water if adding a cup of syrup per gallon of water with pops wet curing brine to keep the ppm of nitrite the same. I spent a lot of time with searching maple syrup wet cure and got this recent thread which is perfect for my question but the OP didn't give the recipe and I can't get any GD help. So I'll just PM Dave. Thanks for your reply.

I think I remember Disco saying he got some Maple flavor, but I don't remember how he did it.

Bear

I think I remember Disco saying he got some Maple flavor, but I don't remember how he did it.

Bear
I have gotten maple flavor but wanted to know how to consider it in regards to proper nitrite/salt amount. Also, it's sweetness compared to granulated sugar. Dave mentioned weight. So If I swap one cup of water out of a gallon for one cup maple syrup and consider their weight difference I can plug it in the digging dog farms calculator since with a wet curing brine you need the water and meat weight to put in the calculator. Should be pretty close to the same weight.

I have gotten maple flavor but wanted to know how to consider it in regards to proper nitrite/salt amount. Also, it's sweetness compared to granulated sugar. Dave mentioned weight. So If I swap one cup of water out of a gallon for one cup maple syrup and consider their weight difference I can plug it in the digging dog farms calculator since with a wet curing brine you need the water and meat weight to put in the calculator. Should be pretty close to the same weight.

I would think the amount of Cure would be the same:
We're only talking about swapping 8 ounces (by volume) of water for Maple Syrup.

Now Clue me in how you actually got Maple flavor on cured Bacon, during a curing process.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky