Canadian Peameal Bacon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ak1

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 23, 2010
Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
Heck, I'm not sure what to call this.

A few weeks ago I made some peameal bacon, but ended up throwing it in the freezer rather than the fridge. So yesterday I figured I better take it out to thaw so I can slice it up. Well I was looking at it today, and thought... What if I smoked it?  It was already cured and rolled in ground pea meal( ground up dried yellow peas(the original coating)) So, onto the smoker it went. 5 hrs later here's what I ended up with after slicing it up;

1329215f_S3000018.jpg

Last edited:
I gotta dumb question on the peameal bacon cure as this will be my first attempt at it.

I'm planing on brineing 1/2 of a 9 lb loin that I have .

The  recipe I got from Cowgirl calls for 1 gal. of water for the brine and all the ingredients. The container I have will hold the 4 lb loin and a little over 1/2 gal of water. Is it ok to cut the brine recipe in half (water and ingredients) and use the smaller container or does it need the full volume of 1 gal.???

Thanks

Last edited:
Looks real tasty.

The picture might be deceiving, but it looks kinda in between cured CB and uncured boneless pork chop slices.

What IT did you take it to?

Bear

I gotta dumb question on the peameal bacon cure as this will be my first attempt at it.

The  recipe I got from Cowgirl calls for 1 gal. of water for the brine and all the ingredients. The container I have will hold the 4 lb loin and a little over 1/2 gal of water. Is it ok to cut the brine recipe in half (water and ingredients) and use the smaller container or does it need the full volume of 1 gal.???

Thanks
I haven't brine cured anything yet, so you should get another opinion or two, but it is my understanding that it is the percentages that have to be right, and the brine has to be enough to completely submerse your product, so I would say you would be good to go with your plan, as long as it covers the whole piece.

Bear

Went to 165 internal Bear. That way I have the option of eating as is, or frying it.
Yup--That's the way I like to do them.

Did you go light on the cure?

If not, it must be a color problem in the picture.

Either way, it definitely looks tasty!

Bear

Thanks
You should be OK as long as there is enough cure for the amount of meat and as Bear said, that the meat is completely submerged.

PM bbally, he'll know for sure.

Customer Service <[email protected]>

For making a brine with the Instacure, you would use 3 oz. to every gallon of water.  It doesn't matter what size the meat is as long as the meat is completely covered by the brine.

That is the reply I recieved from the sausage maker. It is also written on their package of instacure #1 or #2.  I questioned them as to having to calculate the amount of meat and the amount of water.

When using instacure #1 or #2,  additional salt can be used. You can also add other spices as long as the total volume is 3 oz cure/gallon ratio.

For making a brine with the Instacure, you would use 3 oz. to every gallon of water.  It doesn't matter what size the meat is as long as the meat is completely covered by the brine.

That is the reply I recieved from the sausage maker. It is also written on their package of instacure #1 or #2.  I questioned them as to having to calculate the amount of meat and the amount of water.

When using instacure #1 or #2,  additional salt can be used. You can also add other spices as long as the total volume is 3 oz cure/gallon ratio.
That's what I thought:

The percentages of cure and water have to stay right, so Mike is good to go.

The only question as to the amount of meat is that it has to be enough liquid to allow the meat to stay completely submerged.

Bear

That's what I thought:

The percentages of cure and water have to stay right, so Mike is good to go.

The only question as to the amount of meat is that it has to be enough liquid to allow the meat to stay completely submerged.

Bear
O kay, Got it. Thanks guys!! 

Ya Bear..The container I have will allow the loin to be completely submerged.

I'm on it. wish me luck.
pot.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky