Canadian Decoder-Ring (ReadyCure)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I haven't wet brined in some time.
I try to use the minimum amount of liquid to keep the meat covered. Use whatever amount fits in the bag with the brisket.
The less water you use, means the seasoning needs to be reduced as well.

SmokinEdge SmokinEdge also gave you the rest of the story with using RC.
Getting the nitrite to 150 ppm also brings in 1.5% salt. I don't know how much salt is in your pickle, but if it was based on using cure #1 (which is basically just under 0.25% salt) you will have some very very salty corned beef.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
So, SmokinEdge, if I'm following what you're puttin' down, then please correct me if my mathing is wrong:

Weight of meat = 3.2 kgs
Weight of water (1 gallon) = 3.78 kgs
added together, that equals 6.98 kgs

Therefore, 6980 X .15 = 1047

uh, um.... does any of that seem right?

Last edited:
6.98 x 0.15 = 1.047

This ain't seeming right to me either. (I can't figure myself out of a wet-paper-bag, at the moment)

6980 x 0.000150 / 0.01 = 104.7

OK, so after thinking about this, and wobbling it around in my head, that last mathing implies that for 'nearly 7 kgs' of meat and water, I'd add 104 gms of this ReadyCure. (by weight)

And I'm perfectly good with using 1/2 gallon or 2 litres of water, instead. This just ain't looking right to me. But what do I know.

If I use a half-gallon (roughly) or 2 litres of water, that would weigh 1.89 kg's so that would math-out to:

5090 x 0.000150 / 0.01 = 76.35

How is that sounding to you, et al?

Last edited:
Move the decimal point 2 places to the right for figuring percentages. to figure 6% of a number, multiply by .06

6.98 x 0.15 = 1.047

This ain't seeming right to me either. (I can't figure myself out of a wet-paper-bag, at the moment)

6980 x 0.000150 / 0.01 = 104.7

OK, so after thinking about this, and wobbling it around in my head, that last mathing implies that for 'nearly 7 kgs' of meat and water, I'd add 104 gms of this ReadyCure. (by weight)

And I'm perfectly good with using 1/2 gallon or 2 litres of water, instead. This just ain't looking right to me. But what do I know.

If I use a half-gallon (roughly) or 2 litres of water, that would weigh 1.89 kg's so that would math-out to:

How is that sounding to you, et al?
Now you have edited your post and are all over the map.

1 liter of water weighs 1000 grams. That’s why the metric system is so useful, unlike our imperial system that converts into fractions.

The math is correct as I’ve given it to you, but now you have changed the percentage to 1% WTF?
Please advise….

So solving for nitrite alone at 1% concentrate for 1 Kg of meat looks like this, assuming you want 150ppm nitrite.

Meat 1000g x .000150 / .01 = 15 grams of your cure to net 150ppm nitrite with 1 Kg of meat or meat/liquid. This will also net you 1.5% salt.
OK, a few things here. As you can see, I've been confusing myself into a corner, yet again. Add to that the 'delay' here on the site where any of my posts have to be 'approved' before they are actually posted. I'm a new guy, I get that. It just leaves me with more time to ponder, try again, and fail harder.

So, now back to the issues at hand. If I use the formula process you have above here, with what you say is 'meat or meat/liquid' then:
Meat 1000g x .000150 / .01 = 15 grams of your cure

Would then be 'adapted' to my actual weights (I'd googled the weight of a gallon of water previously, that is where that abstract number came from. In this case I'll use 2 litres) the amounts would be (linearly, not BEDMAS)

3.2 (kgs of meat) + 2 (water) x 0.000150 / 0.01 = 0.078

Rewrite that, so that everything is written in grams:

5200 x 0.000150 / 0.01 = 78

So, if I have this correct, the total weight of the meat and water is 5200 gms, and the amount of the 1% ReadyCure I would add to the water (after boiling and then cooling) would be 78 gms.

I apologize for being 'all over the board' here. I'm actually trying, as well as trying to work this out in my head. You directing me as to how to do such is HUGELY appreciated. This is working with what I have ON HAND here, as opposed to .....

you could just.... order something different, eventually.

So, did I copy AND apply your formula correctly with the appropriate numbers accurately placed?

If so, I do believe that I can boil 2 litres of water, dissolve the sugar into it (142 gms) then let that all cool, add the spices and the ReadyCure, put it in the bag with the meat and fridge it for 5 days.

OK, a few things here. As you can see, I've been confusing myself into a corner, yet again. Add to that the 'delay' here on the site where any of my posts have to be 'approved' before they are actually posted. I'm a new guy, I get that. It just leaves me with more time to ponder, try again, and fail harder.

So, now back to the issues at hand. If I use the formula process you have above here, with what you say is 'meat or meat/liquid' then:
Meat 1000g x .000150 / .01 = 15 grams of your cure

Would then be 'adapted' to my actual weights (I'd googled the weight of a gallon of water previously, that is where that abstract number came from. In this case I'll use 2 litres) the amounts would be (linearly, not BEDMAS)

3.2 (kgs of meat) + 2 (water) x 0.000150 / 0.01 = 0.078

Rewrite that, so that everything is written in grams:

5200 x 0.000150 / 0.01 = 78

So, if I have this correct, the total weight of the meat and water is 5200 gms, and the amount of the 1% ReadyCure I would add to the water (after boiling and then cooling) would be 78 gms.

I apologize for being 'all over the board' here. I'm actually trying, as well as trying to work this out in my head. You directing me as to how to do such is HUGELY appreciated. This is working with what I have ON HAND here, as opposed to .....

you could just.... order something different, eventually.

So, did I copy AND apply your formula correctly with the appropriate numbers accurately placed?

If so, I do believe that I can boil 2 litres of water, dissolve the sugar into it (142 gms) then let that all cool, add the spices and the ReadyCure, put it in the bag with the meat and fridge it for 5 days.
First of all I’d like to say welcome to these forums, these are the best on the planet for smoking and curing. I apologize for the confusion. Let’s set this straight.

Yes, your math now seems good. But remember that you will be at 1.5% salt with the math but your nitrite numbers will be solid. So if more salt is wanted you will have to add that as pure salt, like sea salt.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Excellent, Awesome, and THANK YOU. Truly.

Since I am the 'great unwashed' and don't know from Shine-O-La, please let me ask you this. (all's ya'll)

What amount of Salt SHOULD I use for a brine for Corned Beef?

The recipe I've started with (ingredients) is here:

4 l Water
450 gms Kosher Salt
100 gms Sugar
25 gms Pink Salt <<IGNORE THIS, WE'VE DEALT WITH THIS TOPIC
3 tsp Garlic
20 gms Pickling Spice
2.25 kg Beef Brisket, marbled
20 gms Pickling Spice

Combine all the Brine ingredients in a pot large enough to hold the Brisket comfortably. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the Salt and the Sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temp, then refrigerate the Brine until it is completely chilled.

Place the Brisket in the Brine, and weigh it down with a plate, to keep it submerged. Refrigerate for 5 days.

Remove the Brisket from the Brine, and rinse it thoroughly under cool running Water.

Place the Brisket in a pot just large enough to hold it, and add enough Water to cover the meat. Add the remaining Pickling Spice, and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently, for ~3 hours or until the Brisket is fork-tender. There should always be enough Water to cover the Brisket. Replenish the Water if it gets too low.

Remove the Corned Beef from the cooking liquid (which can be used later to moisten the meat and/or vegetables that is being served with it), slice the Beef and serve warm or cool.

Wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve, or for a week.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we have already established, my meat weight is different, and I'm using 2 litres of water. I was thinking of using that 100 gms of sugar (I'm not one who likes 'sweet' meat/food, only desserts) Would that be an issue?

The values I'd converted because of the meat weight difference, is this:
2 ltrs Water
639 gms Pickling Salt
142 gms Sugar
35 gms Pink Salt/Sodium Nitrite
4.25 tsps Garlic
28.5 gms Pickling Spice
3.2 kg’s Brisket, Flat (7.4 lbs)
28.5 gms Pickling Spice

That is simply all the numbers, scaled up. BUT, the Salt amount and the Sugar amount are in question, at the moment. Because of the amount of Salt that is in my ReadyCure.

So here is where you can please use your tutelage and tell me 'right from wrong' if-you-will.

I've already boiled the 2 litres of Water, and am awaiting the amounts to put in and dissolve.

I forgot to add, that we have 'non-iodized salt' specifically for working with meats. I'll be using that.

Excellent, Awesome, and THANK YOU. Truly.

Since I am the 'great unwashed' and don't know from Shine-O-La, please let me ask you this. (all's ya'll)

What amount of Salt SHOULD I use for a brine for Corned Beef?

The recipe I've started with (ingredients) is here:

4 l Water
450 gms Kosher Salt
100 gms Sugar
25 gms Pink Salt <<IGNORE THIS, WE'VE DEALT WITH THIS TOPIC
3 tsp Garlic
20 gms Pickling Spice
2.25 kg Beef Brisket, marbled
20 gms Pickling Spice

Combine all the Brine ingredients in a pot large enough to hold the Brisket comfortably. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the Salt and the Sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temp, then refrigerate the Brine until it is completely chilled.

Place the Brisket in the Brine, and weigh it down with a plate, to keep it submerged. Refrigerate for 5 days.

Remove the Brisket from the Brine, and rinse it thoroughly under cool running Water.

Place the Brisket in a pot just large enough to hold it, and add enough Water to cover the meat. Add the remaining Pickling Spice, and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently, for ~3 hours or until the Brisket is fork-tender. There should always be enough Water to cover the Brisket. Replenish the Water if it gets too low.

Remove the Corned Beef from the cooking liquid (which can be used later to moisten the meat and/or vegetables that is being served with it), slice the Beef and serve warm or cool.

Wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve, or for a week.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we have already established, my meat weight is different, and I'm using 2 litres of water. I was thinking of using that 100 gms of sugar (I'm not one who likes 'sweet' meat/food, only desserts) Would that be an issue?

The values I'd converted because of the meat weight difference, is this:
2 ltrs Water
639 gms Pickling Salt
142 gms Sugar
35 gms Pink Salt/Sodium Nitrite
4.25 tsps Garlic
28.5 gms Pickling Spice
3.2 kg’s Brisket, Flat (7.4 lbs)
28.5 gms Pickling Spice

That is simply all the numbers, scaled up. BUT, the Salt amount and the Sugar amount are in question, at the moment. Because of the amount of Salt that is in my ReadyCure.

So here is where you can please use your tutelage and tell me 'right from wrong' if-you-will.

I've already boiled the 2 litres of Water, and am awaiting the amounts to put in and dissolve.

I forgot to add, that we have 'non-iodized salt' specifically for working with meats. I'll be using that.
Maybe we are not communicating the right way. Now you are trying to combine your “known” recipes with our advice on curing salt. I’m thinking that you are not understanding that your cure has all the salt, and if applied for nitrite percentage you will have 1.5% salt. Some like 2-2.5% salt but not much more. What you have posted is way over that, by a lot. I will rework your recipe for salt content if you can tell me where you want to land, 1.5 or 2.5% salt?

Sir, this too is where we're not communicating properly, and I take FULL responsibility for that.

As I had stated, I have ONLY boiled 2 litres of Water. I have not added ANY Salt, or Sugar to the pot, for dissolving. I'm also not saying that I MUST.... as this is my first batch of corned-beef, I'm asking you (and all) what a 'good' amount of Saltiness would be, for me to begin down this road. This won't be my only one I ever make.

I put up that recipe I'd intended to start with, simply to show you what I was working with. Since the beginning of my joining here, the Salt/Nitrite thing is HUGELY different here in Canuckistania than it is there in the U.S.of A. Again, my apologies for my lack of clarity.

I'm not saying I 'will' add any Salt or Sugar. I'm asking you if you think I SHOULD add any of either. And if-so, then HOW MUCH would you suggest?

Sir, this too is where we're not communicating properly, and I take FULL responsibility for that.

As I had stated, I have ONLY boiled 2 litres of Water. I have not added ANY Salt, or Sugar to the pot, for dissolving. I'm also not saying that I MUST.... as this is my first batch of corned-beef, I'm asking you (and all) what a 'good' amount of Saltiness would be, for me to begin down this road. This won't be my only one I ever make.

I put up that recipe I'd intended to start with, simply to show you what I was working with. Since the beginning of my joining here, the Salt/Nitrite thing is HUGELY different here in Canuckistania than it is there in the U.S.of A. Again, my apologies for my lack of clarity.

I'm not saying I 'will' add any Salt or Sugar. I'm asking you if you think I SHOULD add any of either. And if-so, then HOW MUCH would you suggest?
Understood.
With what has been already posted, let’s build a recipe for you. We can do that. Are you on board for that?

• Love
For what it's worth, here is the Pickling Spice recipe/blend that I've already made, and set aside:
Pickling Spice

20 gms Black Peppercorns
20 gms Mustard Seeds
20 gms Coriander Seeds
12 gms Red Pepper Flakes
14 gms Allspice Berries
8 gms Mace, ground
2” Cinnamon Sticks, crushed
2-4 Bay Leaves, crushed
6 gms Cloves, whole
8 gms Ginger, ground

Lightly toast the Peppercorns, Mustard Seed, and Coriander Seeds, then ‘just crack them’ in a Mortar and Pestle. Combine the cracked spices with the remaining ingredients, mixing well.

Store in a tightly sealed container.
Yield: 1 cup.

For what it's worth, here is the Pickling Spice recipe/blend that I've already made, and set aside:
Pickling Spice

20 gms Black Peppercorns
20 gms Mustard Seeds
20 gms Coriander Seeds
12 gms Red Pepper Flakes
14 gms Allspice Berries
8 gms Mace, ground
2” Cinnamon Sticks, crushed
2-4 Bay Leaves, crushed
6 gms Cloves, whole
8 gms Ginger, ground

Lightly toast the Peppercorns, Mustard Seed, and Coriander Seeds, then ‘just crack them’ in a Mortar and Pestle. Combine the cracked spices with the remaining ingredients, mixing well.

Store in a tightly sealed container.
Yield: 1 cup.
The aromatics and flavorings are all to your choice. They matter not to the cure or to safety. I’ll help guid you on that but not the other. Tastes vary.

I was just "laying my cards on the table" and showing you what I've done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky