Canadian Bacon using bearcarvers method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Smoker Jim, FWIW, brown sugar is impure and can add stuff that bacteria thrives on....
Processed white sugar is pure and does NOT add stuff that bacteria can survive on.....

Looks Beautiful !!!
Not your typical Coal Cracker Food---Lock your doors!!
Nice Job Jim!!
Like.

Bear
thanks for the compliment bear, I do think if those coal crackers get a whiff I might have a problem. guns are loaded! thanks for the like

That looks awesome Jim! Sucks the other one didnt turn out for you. Id be making me some nice breakfast sammys with some of that!
thanks Travis, luckily it was only 1 piece since I was experimenting, yeah I think a sammie is in the near future.

I have only made Canadian bacon once and used bears method except for before smoking rubbed down with brown sugar and maple extract ! Some with just brown sugar and some with coarse black pepper ! All three were awesome ! Speacialy the maple ! Pork loins on sale this week $1.48 lb ! Getting at least 2 all for Canadian bacon ! Getting 5 turkey breast also they are .98 lb ! The smoker is hungry !
yeah a full smoker is a happy smoker, sounds like you're going to be busy.

Great looking CB Jim! Looks like you’re set for a while.

Sorry to hear about the other loin.
thanks, I don't think it will last long going to get some brining this weekend. thanks for the like

Smoker Jim, FWIW, brown sugar is impure and can add stuff that bacteria thrives on....
Processed white sugar is pure and does NOT add stuff that bacteria can survive on.....
thanks Dave good to know, but if I used the same sugar with bears method should've that gone bad to, I really don't know just asking.

Sucks about loosing a loin. Been lucky so far.
You are a wealth of information that I appreciate reading and learning.
I've never heard about brown sugar problems in curing meat. How does the other trendy sugars such as Turbinado (sugar in the raw) compare? How about adding molasses to processed white sugar?
A moot point for me as I don't add any sugars or sweetener to my cures.

thanks Dave good to know, but if I used the same sugar with bears method should've that gone bad to, I really don't know just asking.

Could be bags of sugar are different ??? Maybe some brown sugar bags are OK...

Turbinado is a "less processed" sugar... It has "some" of the molasses in it...

Maybe the one container wasn't perfectly clean and the other one was..

When you pull 2 eggs from the carton, and one is perfect and the other makes you puke ???? You may start crackin' eggs in a bowl first...
There are soooo many possibilities, difficult to track them all down... All I know is what Forest Gump noted..... "S4!t happens"... You cure 10 hams side by side and one gets bone sour .... Wasn't your fault that pig was being chased at 30 MPH 5 minutes before she/he was dispatched... Hot meat is a nightmare... it sours and rots...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky