Canadian bacon question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I keep a probe in the mailbox. I had one fire in there because I had the fan running too fast. If I didn't just happen to look out the window I would have had a mess. The plastic handle on the mailbox was on fire! I learned to keep the blades running pretty slow. Slow enough that you can see them rotate. It works great there.

I like to finish between 145° and 150°.
Good Stuff!! :emoji_ok_hand:

Bear

That is what I'm aiming for. I just didn't adjust the alarm setting on my phone. Did you try a piece right after you pulled it from smoker?

That is what I'm aiming for. I just didn't adjust the alarm setting on my phone. Did you try a piece right after you pulled it from smoker?

Always!!
I think it's best after about 40 hours. Any longer than that isn't a big difference.IMO
However I like it at any time---Even right after smoking---But I'm Easy!! LOL

Bear

Always!!
I think it's best after about 40 hours. Any longer than that isn't a big difference.IMO
However I like it at any time---Even right after smoking---But I'm Easy!! LOL

Bear

Haha, I'm getting impatient here!

Pulled at 147. Sample piece very tender and juicy. A tad salty. But not disagreeable at all. On my next go I'll rinse the meat a little more before I smoke.

_DSC9115.JPG
_DSC9116.JPG

Pulled at 147. Sample piece very tender and juicy. A tad salty. But not disagreeable at all. On my next go I'll rinse the meat a little more before I smoke.

Looks Great Steve!!
Nice Job.
Like.

Did you do the Salt-Fry-Test when you cut it to see the inside color?
That would tell you if it should be soaked a little more.

It might still mellow out in the Fridge a couple days.

Bear

Thanks all. Bear, I didn't do a taste before I smoked. Probably should have. But, I'm still happy with the results.

I’ll cast a vote for Pops brine here. I’ve made a few batches (about 40 lbs total)over the winter and people rave over it. I cut the salt in half and use Splenda vs sugar In the last batch I poured in a small bottle of sugar free artificial maple flavoring.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky