Canadian Bacon - 1st attempt - Successful!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JZ_Focus

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
York, PA
I started with a 2 lbs Pork Loin for my first attempt so as not to waste a lot of meat in case something went drastically wrong. I used the recipe for "Pops" liquid brine using 3/4 cup of salt. I used an injector to be sure that the brine worked from the inside out not just the outside in. Dropped the loin into the Brine on 11/19/17 and Pulled out on 12/2/17 (13 days). Once pulled from Brine I dried it off thoroughly and placed it on a cooling rack. I gave it a rub with some brown sugar just to add a little sweetness. Placed in fridge for 24 hours before it went to the smoker.

I set the MES 30 for 180* and put Apple pellets in my Amazn tray which I located in the mailbox from my mailbox mod.

Started everything at 7:45am - Starting Internal Temp 28*
8:45am - I.T. 66*
9:45am - I.T. 100*
10:45am - I.T. 115*
12:15pm - I.T. 125*
1:45pm - I.T. 140*
2:30pm - I.T. 145* - Pulled from smoker

Let meat rest for 1 hour before wrapping in plastic and placing in the fridge for about 2 hours.

Pulled from fridge and started slicing.

I have to say for a first attempt, I'm extremely pleased. Not too salty, good smoke, and a slight sweetness just like I wanted.

A.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
A.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 33
I smoke pork sirloins, usually about 2 lbs each. Got eight curing in the fridge right now. I smoke mine in my WSM at 175F-200F chamber temp until IT is 140-145F. Usually done around 4 hours. Tastes great, nice and smoky.

Great job on your first bacon!! Well done.
I take a little longer. The longer it's in the smoker, the more smoke it takes on. I don't bother with the 1 hour with no smoke--I put the meat in front of a fan for an hour or two to develope a pellicle. This ensures good smoke adhesion to the meat.
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky