Canada Goose breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

culpepersmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2010
Split between Michigan and Texas
So yesterday was opening day for goose here in Michigan. A friend called and said he’s bringing over some goose breast for me to smoke this weekend. Having never done a goose breast I started searching. It seems they are either done medium (140ish) or well (170 internal).
I was going to do them like pastrami but my friend says he’s not a fan so I’m thinking to use this brine for 24 hours.
  • 6 cups of water
  • ½ cup honey
  • 1 cups brown sugar
  • 1 cups kosher salt
  • 2 tbsp. black pepper
  • 2 cups of brewed coffee
And stick with medium rare In the offset with oak and apple wood. I’m also thinking of adding some pink salt (#1) to the brine for a little “cured“ flavor. Am I on the right path?

CPS, I agree with SJ about the salt quantity but the other ingredients sound good. Never smoked a goose breast but turkey breast recipes would be similar !

I always base poultry brines on Pop's formula .
1 gallon water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 TBLS cure #1 .
Inject and soak over night . ( or longer if you like )

I add 1/2 to 1 tsp lemon extract for chicken .

If you're adding stuff that doesn't readily dissolve , you might not get much pick up in the meat . I have soaked or stepped things like fennel seeds , Black pepper corns , then add that liquid to the bucket . Still doesn't add a lot .
That's why I use the extracts . I have lemon , anise , maple and a few others .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Will be watching as we are always looking for additional ways to do geese. It's just been jerky lately.

Sounds good, but as stated you salt to water ratio is off. If not using cure, I go with 1 cup Kosher Salt to 1 Gallon of water.
The rest of your recipe sounds good.

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky