Can you add insulation to the bottom of an existing grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cpt caveman

Original poster
Jul 3, 2016
Ohio
Without affecting the height of coals too badly, can ceramic plate 1/4 inch thick be used under the coals? My thinking is it would help reduce heat loss in colder months through the bottom of the grill. Would it even help any? Perhaps 3/4 thick or even 1 inch thick. Waste of time, or is there possibility?

I assume you are speaking about in the bottom of your PBC?

If so, I would not worry about losing heat through the bottom as heat rises (same way you can build a fire on a frozen lake and it does not melt through).  I would look for ways to wrap the unit with a insulated blanket along with something on the top.  Your other option would be to open your lower vent up more in the colder months to allow a hotter fire.  

PBC is known for their great customer service, you should give them a call and ask them for some advice, They started in Colorado and it gets cold there!

Good Luck and Smoke ON!

- Jason

Thanks Jason for the info. This helps with a new direction! I could find the insulated material and make something like a insulator sleeve for the barrel. I'm strongly considering the Meadowcreek BBQ42 and could fabricate some sort of jacket for it. Just need a way to make it stick to it and remove it when it's not needed.

Reminds me of women who make clothes for their yapper lap dogs. We make clothes for our grills!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky