Can wait any longer!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin monkey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sutton In Ashfield, UK
I couldn't wait any longer! Have been waiting for a temperature controller to arrive from China, for my self build electric smoker, it's lost in the post so they are sending a replacement.

I have a wood burning Pizza Oven, so I decided today to fit my Smokai Smoker unit to it do do some cold smoking. I am assuming that the lower chamber where to wood burns, will cool the smoke before it travels up into the cooking area.

With an outside temperature of +6'C (42.8F) I don't think I will be having any problems warming the cheese to much.

As this is my first ever smoke, I can't wait to taste it.

As they say walk before you can run!

Smokin Monkey

Last edited:
That's a cool looking smoker. The cold outside is great for smoking cheese. Just remember......not to long and let it rest after it is done. Straight out of the smoker is very bitter.

Good luck on your smoke........

Brad

So first ever smoke was the Cheddar Cheese seen in the picture. Now I received Jeff's Smoking Meat Book for Christmas, and it say smoke for 4 hours, whils smoking read on forum, not to over smoke, so pulled it a 3 Hours.

After leaving over night in the fridge, the taste was "bitter" and the smoke cheese tainted every thing in the fridge.

Any ideas what went wrong?

Smokin Monkey

Hello.  Lookin good!  Don't forget I am just down the road when it comes to tasting time.  
icon_biggrin.gif
  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

smokinmonkey, after sittin in the fridge overnite, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or vac seal it.

let it age at least 2 weeks, the bitter taste will go away after the cheese mellows.

the smoke taste will soak all the way through the cheese.

it takes time and that is the hardest part, the wait.

ed

ROTF.gif
  Sorry Steve, it is pretty nasty; but as you said " walk before you can run!".  And read the process all the way through!  java has ya covered.  Just gotta wait.  Looks like you have that smoker ready to go!  Get a spatchcock chicken on that sucker and get started.  When that controller comes in you will have experience to build on.  Besides, ya gotta wait for that cheese to age a bit.  Need something to do.  Go for it mate!  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Quick up date on the first cheese smoke, what a difference two weeks makes, gone from kissing an old ashtray to a smooth mellow smoke cheese
! Thanks for the advice,"be patient"

Smokin Monkey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky