• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Can pizza dough be frozen?

mrad

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 27, 2012
If I make a few batches of pizza dough, can I freeze it after letting it rise for 48 hours in the fridge, or will I run into issues?

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
I'm not sure, but they do sell frozen dough in the supermarkets not sure what the difference would be

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I freeze both pizza and pasta dough . Seems fine to me . Roll into a ball , portion sizes and wrap with plastic wrap then freezer bag .

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
No issues. The yeast just go dormant and recover when the dough warms up...JJ

solman

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 13, 2015
i freeze my pizza doughs all the time. make sure and cover the dough ball with a coating of olive oil to help protect the skin.

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Mar 1, 2014
A couple of things to help. Slow freezing reduces viability and most of us don't have blast freezers. If making the batch specifically for freezing, use more yeast as it will lose some viability and flatten the ball into a disk so it freezes faster.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.