can i use charcoal and propane at the same time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bodra

Original poster
Feb 17, 2020
I have a vertical propane smoker, but I struggle to get heat up in the cold winter of Canada.

I do have a very large smokebox tray, and I am thinking of using charcoal in there as well as propane at the same time, any issues you think with that?

Reactions: Will Squared
I don't see any reason why not... I use fist sized chunks of hardwoods in a 16" cast iron pan in my propane smokehouse. I cook with wood, and use the propane to moderate and hold an even temp.; probably 80~85% of the BTU's come from wood... When the coals get hot and the heat creeps up, I dial back the propane a little. you could do the same with charcoal.

Yup it gives added flavor on a smoker tried adding some with my chips on the gas grill. I didn’t notice any flavor but a smoker yes

Reactions: Bodra
Yes but you will need to experiment in order to find the best amount so you can control the temps, I have had too many chunks in mine during the summer and ran a lot hotter than I wanted

That's because of the charcoal dust. If there is a lot, like when you dump the last of a bag and all the dust is in the bottom, and you light the propane, the fine airborne dust could explode.
I recommend lighting the charcoal first and letting it get hot, then light the propane burner.

I don't know much about it, but I keep picturing the Gas flame going out, but the Gas keeps flowing, until the Charcoal decides to ignite the accumulated gas & send it into Orbit.

Can't Happen??? Just a Thought.

Bear

I don't know much about it, but I keep picturing the Gas flame going out, but the Gas keeps flowing, until the Charcoal decides to ignite the accumulated gas & send it into Orbit.

Can't Happen??? Just a Thought.

Bear

mine is well ventilated but yea that might happen definitely! although my burner never went off, but must be careful

mine is well ventilated but yea that might happen definitely! although my burner never went off, but must be careful
So i just tested that , the charcoal actually goes off, as it looks like the propane sucks all oxygen out , even with all vents open, it didnt add any heat, maybe some flavor

So i just tested that , the charcoal actually goes off, as it looks like the propane sucks all oxygen out , even with all vents open, it didnt add any heat, maybe some flavor, will try with large wood chunks next time

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky