Can I freeze smoked Ribs and how long can they last?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tempnexus

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
I smoked 3 racks of Pork Ribs and I want to freeze the 2 by placing them in a ziplock bag and sticking them into a freezer.

Can they last a week?

Frozen I am sure they will last far longer than a week. Do you have a vacuum sealer? That would be your best bet.

I use a vac sealer, but before I had one, it was zip lock bags and a soda straw. I bagged small quantities in quart bags for snacks or a quick lunch. Smoked in the fall, good all winter. Smoked foods tend to last well, add a bit of water or apple juice, steam briefly and enjoy.

I know I am late to this party with a reply, but get yourself a vac sealer and you will be all set.

Because I hate cleaning my grates, when I smoke, its a full weekends (2 days) worth of smoking.. Usually a couple pork shoulders, some brisket, wings, chicken breasts, ribs, etc etc. Once its cooked, I break it all down, measure out servings for my wife and I (usually about 12oz is the right spot), vac seal individual meals, label and throw in the freezer. When its time to eat, pull it out the night before, put in the fridge and by the time we get home from work, its thawed and ready to heat to eat. The package I opened last night was from April, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between fresh and it.

I know I am late to this party with a reply, but get yourself a vac sealer and you will be all set.

Because I hate cleaning my grates, when I smoke, its a full weekends (2 days) worth of smoking.. Usually a couple pork shoulders, some brisket, wings, chicken breasts, ribs, etc etc. Once its cooked, I break it all down, measure out servings for my wife and I (usually about 12oz is the right spot), vac seal individual meals, label and throw in the freezer. When its time to eat, pull it out the night before, put in the fridge and by the time we get home from work, its thawed and ready to heat to eat. The package I opened last night was from April, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between fresh and it.

So you actually think TGI Fridays and Chili's smokes their ribs to order? :emoji_wink:

Add me to freezing works well camp. For ribs, thaw and sear then sauce on hot grill. Ribs must be grilled here.

How do you reheat it ?
For most things, I just reheat in my toaster oven. The flavor is already there, it just needs temp to get it to preference. And if you are concerned about it drying out at all when reheating, I just add a little sauce (bbq- hot sauce, etc) to it and all is good.

I just use quart baggies like some above. I put 4 ribs per baggie but that may vary by size. I write a date on the baggie to know how old. I reheat in my microwave. They usually don't last more than 2 months because I eat them.

I smoke big batches for summer and vacations. I vacuum pack. I usually add some extra juices to the pack as well. I thaw in frig, then reheat wrapped in foil with a little extra juice. I save extra juices in a large old ketchup squeeze bottle. Open cap, microwave, and it's ready to use as well...

Another vote for vacuum packing. When I have a free weekend, I smoke several different cuts of meat and vacuum pack them for later. This allows me to have several different cuts/varieties available to eat during the week/month.

Reactions: mikedaub
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky