camp chef woodwind constant flame outs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well so far 3.5 hours in. On hi smoke temps have varied between 188-310 with the new controller.

When it was time to foil I thought I would try to just put the grill on 225. Temps still going from 208-296

Not impressed. Using lumberjack comp blend pellets.

Well so far 3.5 hours in. On hi smoke temps have varied between 188-310 with the new controller.

When it was time to foil I thought I would try to just put the grill on 225. Temps still going from 208-296

Not impressed. Using lumberjack comp blend pellets.

Wow. 188*-310*. That's crazy. So are they saying that "hi smoke" can still be gotten at 310*F?

Talk about wild temperature swings.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s really annoying. The ribs came out tasty despite the temp swings. Will give campchef a call Monday. I do have a fire pot to switch out. I can’t see that helping much. I think it’s clear their controller is hot garbage.

The more I study how pellet grills actually work the more disappointed I am that i purchased the Campchef. The materials that came with the grill says " Simply select what temperature you want and the grill will control the temperature within 15 degrees of the selected temperature." With the type of controller Campchef is using it is not possible to come close to this spec. However based on the packed in materials I was lead to believe that it would perform this way. If it had a PID controller it might be possible. I just feel like I was sold a bunch of baloney by them.

I would be fine with 20-50 degrees, but 100 degrees is garbage, and my old traeger with all of the issues it had it never flamed out during a cook, and certainly not almost every cook. I'm learning that the temp swings really won't matter, but once it goes below 190 I hold my breath wondering if the thing is gonna flame out and then jet up to 400 degrees to compensate.

I looked into a savanah stoker or pellet pro, but I don't think I want to dump another 200.00 into this grill.

The more I study how pellet grills actually work the more disappointed I am that i purchased the Campchef.
I sympathize with your frustration DP. I'm a novice when it comes to pellet grills as my Woodwind is my very fisrt adventure into this new hobby. I have years of experience with smokers having owned both Luhr-Jensen Big & Little Chief models and a couple of Bradleys. I never cared about temps, just results. I just followed the directions that came with the smokers and the results were always good. I did add a PID controller to my current Bradley, but it was to be able to program different time sequences at different temps and not so much to control temp swings (which with the PID is plus/minus 1 degree).

And my focus with my Woodwind has been 100% on results. I have not monitored temp swings and don't really care what they are as long as the results are good. Thus far, every single cook has produced perfect results following the instructions and recipe requirements. Other than some problems with ash build up and control, I have no complaints with my Woodwind. But I've never had any flame out issues with mine. And CC Customer Service has been 100% involved with helping me resolve the ash problems. I hope you can come to an acceptable solution with
your Woodwind and start enjoying that which it can produce.

Today will be my first cook since installing the new burn pot and ash clean out plate were installed last week. I'm doing 4 racks of baby back ribs for the annual Mother's Day visit by the kids and grandkids. I'm drooling already.

The more I study how pellet grills actually work the more disappointed I am that i purchased the Campchef. The materials that came with the grill says " Simply select what temperature you want and the grill will control the temperature within 15 degrees of the selected temperature." With the type of controller Campchef is using it is not possible to come close to this spec. However based on the packed in materials I was lead to believe that it would perform this way. If it had a PID controller it might be possible.

If it had a PID controller in it, then plus or minus 5 degrees would have been not only possible, but the norm.

I'm sorry for your disappointment in your purchase. But it's looking like the only way to get what you are looking for, might be to clean the slate and start from square one with a different purchase.

I just feel like I was sold a bunch of baloney by them.

Well, at least to this observer, it doesn't look like, and most definitely does not smell like "baloney", from what you're describing thus far.

No, from what you're describing, it sounds as though it has a much different aroma than "baloney".

But on the bright side, you are at least in the "B" section of the dictionary in your description. Thus it would seem that you're at least warm in your assessment.

You may just simply need to go a little further down the alphabet in your second letter selection after the "B", in order to nail it.

On a serious note, many times, and with many endeavors, doesn't have to be cooking, but many other endeavors that may come to mind, whenever optimal results are discussed, sought and desired, "procedural repeatability", "consistency" or words to that effect, are also often times used.

If your temps are bouncing all over the place, it might be 20*-50* variance this time, next time, depending on climate/enviormental considerations, day vs night or overnight cooks, it might be more than that, even considerably more than that, well then it's going to be up to you as to whether or not you'd classify that as "consistency".

But to top all of that off, IF you do get a bad result, and we all do from time to time, well then if your temps were bouncing all over the place, you're left to wonder "did my wildly swinging temps have anything to do with this bad result?"

Conversely, when or if you get a good result, well did you get a good result "in spite of" temps that saw 100* swings?

I would be fine with 20-50 degrees, but 100 degrees is garbage, and my old traeger with all of the issues it had it never flamed out during a cook, and certainly not almost every cook. I'm learning that the temp swings really won't matter, but once it goes below 190 I hold my breath wondering if the thing is gonna flame out and then jet up to 400 degrees to compensate.

I looked into a savanah stoker or pellet pro, but I don't think I want to dump another 200.00 into this grill.

If what you're saying is that you are reluctant to throw good money after bad, well then yeah, I can see that standpoint.

That $200.00 could be put with whatever you can get for your current grill, to go towards something that perhaps you'd be more satisfied with.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
Well tried to put in the firepot as suggested by Campchef. Didn't fit. it was about 1/8 of and inch too long, or it was slightly off it it was supposed to sit over the raised ring. Put the old one back in. At least now I know how to change a hot rod, and when I call Monday, I can tell them I attempted their problem solving solutions. The new controller was the same as the old one as far as performance.

The new controller was the same as the old one as far as performance.

I'm not surprised. Based on my own experience, as well as several others that I've talked to, a new controller won't fix that problem. That CC controller algorithm is dead simple. It runs at one duty cycle that feeds pellets at a higher rate when below set point, and another that feeds less when above set point. If you measure the duty cycles* above and below set point and it matches what it's supposed to be, then installing a new controller can't possibly fix the problem. And if the auger is turning at the specified rate, and the display temp matches a 3rd party thermometer, then the auger motor, controller, and probe all all working as designed, leaving only a airflow problem as the likely suspect. So either a bad fan, or a leak or obstruction in the air flow. Replacing the burn pot was a good idea, too bad it didn't fit.

* I don't have the duty cycle times and auger rpm at my fingertips, but I've posted them here before so if you search you should be able to find them.

I called campchef they want me to use a rubber mallet to tap the burn pot in. If it’s still a no go they are going to send me a new hopper assembly

I did nothing but cuss and replace parts for 9 months with my cc. Look up some of my old post. Good luck!

What finally got you to quit cussin' and replacing parts?
Rid my self of the CC and bought Memphis Pro. The sear box I mounted on side of Pro has parts rusting through in less than one year and they sent new parts but as of next month will be out of warranty. If I get two year out of that sear box I will be surprised. Bought CC Big Gas Grill and they told me it was there best cook stove for camping. If there is a breeze over 4 mph Im not able to keep lit even using barn tin to block wind. How often do you go camping with no wind. The paint job was so poor it needed painting within one month. I will never purchase another CC product.

Rid my self of the CC and bought Memphis Pro. The sear box I mounted on side of Pro has parts rusting through in less than one year and they sent new parts but as of next month will be out of warranty. If I get two year out of that sear box I will be surprised. Bought CC Big Gas Grill and they told me it was there best cook stove for camping. If there is a breeze over 4 mph Im not able to keep lit even using barn tin to block wind. How often do you go camping with no wind. The paint job was so poor it needed painting within one month. I will never purchase another CC product.

Wow.

After your saga, I can certainly see why.

I have their Explorer 2 burner stove, and it's OK for what it is.

But after seeing what you and some of the others have written, if I'm ever in the market for another pellet grill, then I'll definitely keep in mind yours and some of the other's experiences.

I have a camp chef woodwind. Actually my second. My first flamed out and then caught fire. camp chef sent me a whole new grill. I am using traeger pellets, and I get wild temp swings 50 plus even up to 80 degrees. Camp chef sent me a new probe, and still seems like its fluctuating a lot. I put another email into them. I've had it for a year, and almost every long cook flames out. Temp swings start normal, then it gets out of whack, and flames out usually about 3-4 hours into the cook. The only good thing is the fire pot clean out allows for a quick restart once you dump all of the un burnt pellets.

I usually watch the grill like a hawk, so i can catch it when it flames out, and keep going.

hoping that camp chef can solve the problem.

I had a traeger for a few years before the camp chef, worked fine for a few years, then got tied of problems with it not starting etc.

Thinking of going back to traeger for the new 575 pro with the D2 drive.

Love pellet grills when they work.

Were you able to figure out what happened? My camp chef just started doing this exact same thing. Customer service told me it was something called a pellet bridge which i had never heard of. Once they explained what that was it still didn't seem right since I usually stir my pellets

A pellet bridge is a possible cause, but not very probably IMO. Does this grill have the new PID controller, or one of the older controllers?

When pellets bridge off they are not dropping into auger. You could open pit and look at auger. If there are pellets in auger tube then then problem was not bridging off. Can also be auger motor not restarting and there poor excuse of a controller. They will keep sending you parts till you get fed up and set it out for trash man.

A pellet bridge is a possible cause, but not very probably IMO. Does this grill have the new PID controller, or one of the older controllers?
I believe it has the older controllers...I have a zg model which was one that was sold exclusively at dicks sporting goods. It was on sale at a very good price and im starting to wonder if that's why. I cleaned off the upright therm probe last night before I used it and that seemed to help with the temperature staying constant but didn't have a long enough cook to see if the pellets stopped lighting. Thanks for your input. Hopefully looking at some green mountain grills this weekend

When pellets bridge off they are not dropping into auger. You could open pit and look at auger. If there are pellets in auger tube then then problem was not bridging off. Can also be auger motor not restarting and there poor excuse of a controller. They will keep sending you parts till you get fed up and set it out for trash man.

They are definitely dropping into the auger. Like the previous guys problem is my grill runs perfectly fine on shorter cooks. Once I get to 2.5 to 3 hours is when the grill stops burning pellets. This just started a few weeks ago after 2 years of never having a problem with the grill. Thanks for your input.

They are definitely dropping into the auger. Like the previous guys problem is my grill runs perfectly fine on shorter cooks. Once I get to 2.5 to 3 hours is when the grill stops burning pellets. This just started a few weeks ago after 2 years of never having a problem with the grill. Thanks for your input.
They dont come with PID controllers, that is aftermarket stuff.Next time goes out let cool and look in burn pot. If auger tube has pellets not bridge problem. If pot has pellets controller issue.If empty pot controller and or auger motor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky