Camp Chef SmokePro ZG - first impressions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Will the sear box fit the zg?
Hey Charles McComb.....yes, the sear box will fit the ZG.
The guts of it are the same size as the DLX with the exception of a different top shelf and the direct heat.
Can't wait to order the Sear box. Although you can also use the direct flame to somewhat sear your food.

I have been doing some reverse searing with the direct grill option and have been happy without the separate sear box. At the highest setting in direct heat the temp gets up to around 500°. I know some like to sear at higher temps but I am happy so far.

It all depends on the size and thickness of the pork butt. I recently smoked a full butt surrounded by some vidalia onions and did it in an aluminum foil pan to catch the drippings. I removed both shelves to have easier access to the pan.

The upper shelf split and is adjustable. Yu can remove one and slide the other all the way back and there should be enough room.

UPDATE: Mine died over the weekend last week. It won't start up. I email Camp Chef and got a quick reply with instructions on how to determine if it is the controlled or the heating element. I haven't had to to check but will keep everyone posted.

Disapointed that I won't be able to smoke anything for Memorial Day. Will just have to live with grilled steaks instead.

I think i read how to fire mine up if the igniter failed wouldn’t work if bord bad but once lit it will keep on trucking til your dine

Thanks Dave, how was Camp Chefs customer service? Just got my ZG assembled and it started first try, just hope this is a product will last a long time.

Thanks Dave, how was Camp Chefs customer service? Just got my ZG assembled and it started first try, just hope this is a product will last a long time.
Customer service was great.

I emailed them and got a response the next day with instructions on how to determine whether it was the igniter or the controller.

It took me a few days to check which was the problem and then emailed that it appeared to be the igniter. The next day I got an email saying they would send a new part. Got another email with the shipping info and had the part within a week.

If I had acted quickly I would say it would be about ten days from initial contact to delivery of the part.

Hey Dave, did Camp Chef ever get back to you regarding the temps? Also, did you get your igniter sorted?

I did get the igniter and it worked fine after install.

They did get back to me with some troubleshooting regarding the temps but I never really followed up. I just set it according to the temperature rather the setting on the knob.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky