Camp Chef Smoke Vault 18 in. Propane Gas Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shkalmi

Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
Been on this forum searching for several days now. Seems the more I look and research the more confusing things get with temp variations, flames going out, not getting to higher temps, elements burning out, leakage etc.

I am looking to buy a Camp Chef Smoke Vault 18 in. Propane Gas Smoker but am also looking at several criteria and am asking actual users if it matches what I am looking for:
  • Price point. I can buy a mew one for $200 and, with the mods, it will be closer to $300. I am also looking for used ones as I do have a little time to look.
  • Kind of set it and forget it. At least for longer than the 15-20 minutes current for my small stick burner.
  • I live in Michigan with normal Winter temps around freezing and possibly as low as 20F. I do plan to insulate it and fashion 'skirts' for legs
    • Hope to do things needing higher temps all Winter.
    • Will it hit and stay at temperature?
  • I would get another wood pan. I know there are several.
  • I heat with wood so I would use wood chunks vs pellets.
  • Semi portable as we have a cottage and would like to take it there during the Summer.
  • We are a family of 2 and possibly up to 8 on special occasions.
  • What I would use it for initially:
    • Wings/ whole chicken/ 12is pound turkey/ fish/ ribs (I know about cutting them to fit)/ deer meat
Any input from actual users would be helpful.

I have the SV24 and have had it for 4-5 years now. It has been a great smoker. It is not made of the thickest material but it holds temps pretty steady. If I use larger chunks I can go 45 min - 1 hour without having to replenish. Lots of guys have replaced the pan but mine is still original and no problems. Glad to see you will be using it for poultry as it is a poultry machine. Can easily get up to 400 if you want it to. I do wings, turkeys, chickens, etc...325 no problem even in winter.

Reactions: Growing_Belly
I have the SV24 and have had it for 4-5 years now. It has been a great smoker. It is not made of the thickest material but it holds temps pretty steady. If I use larger chunks I can go 45 min - 1 hour without having to replenish. Lots of guys have replaced the pan but mine is still original and no problems. Glad to see you will be using it for poultry as it is a poultry machine. Can easily get up to 400 if you want it to. I do wings, turkeys, chickens, etc...325 no problem even in winter.
Have you done any mods?

How important is "set and forget" to you? Propane smokers do need some tending.
But a tank of gas has LOTS of energy so higher chicken temps in cold weather will not be a concern. (compared to all-electric smokers.)
Pellet machines cost a bit more but are a lot more set and forget. And can be run off a car battery (if that cottage of yours lacks electricity.)

How important is "set and forget" to you? Propane smokers do need some tending.
But a tank of gas has LOTS of energy so higher chicken temps in cold weather will not be a concern. (compared to all-electric smokers.)
Pellet machines cost a bit more but are a lot more set and forget. And can be run off a car battery (if that cottage of yours lacks electricity.)
Currently I have a small smoker and temps are all over the map. By set and forget I mean check every hour maybe. I am so used to tending every smoke an hour would be a long time.

...By set and forget I mean check every hour maybe...
A propane smoker sounds perfect for you. The first hour may be practically full-time while things get to temp. But you can step away for meat prep, etc. Once you have things "dialed in" to your desired temp (count on an hour) you can probably just tend to it a couple minutes per hour, all other things being constant. Of course if the ambient temp warms up 40F from early morning to noon, your smoker will do the same.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky