Camp Chef Releasing a new Smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbern

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 27, 2015
Southwest Minnesota
got an email from Camp Chef announcing the release of some type of new cooker coming out on Sept. 26th. claim it will be "the ease of a pellet grill meets the flavor of an offset." they say it will be a game changer? small little video showing the grill,but not alot of detail and not much other info in the email, will have to wait and see what's it all about.

September 26th can’t come fast enough. I’m really interested in what this new smoker is all about. This could be the game changer I’ve been waiting for. I wonder if recteq would release something like this. I would buy from them first if they did.

not sure just yet, not much info released yet. one picture looked like it was burning small wood splits?
Probably a gravity as they can use splits, also seems to be the new direction for companies to market too. I love my MB800

Looked like a stick burner, I would probably get on that wagon if the wife wouldn’t dayvorce me 🤣

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
From what I’m hearing , it’s a pellet grill with a smoker box like an offset smoker. So you can run with pellets and get the traditional smoke flavor like a stick burner.

Reactions: 912smoker
If it truly has the ease of a pellet grill, there'd have to be some sort of automatic feed for the wood chunks/chips/whatever.
From what I’m hearing, it’s a pellet grill AND a offset smoker, you can run it either way or both.

11 seconds into the video sure looks like a gravity smoker

Correction..the video at the cookoutnews link is clearer. Looks like it could be a standard pellet feed underneath that firebox, which is not tall enough to be a gravity machine fueled solely by what's in the firebox. So I'm with Tinydawg...there's a pellet crucible to start the firebox (ease of use) and then the firebox retracts (?) to a position that just provides smoke flavor while the bulk of the heat then comes from the pellet crucible, working like a conventional pellet grill, which suffer from complaints they don't provide the flavor of an offset

Could be a winner, if the air flow is managed so the firebox stays lit and one can still easily add wood chunks to it. I'm thinking I can maybe adapt something like that to my pellet grill. Now, I'll use the crucible to start a charcoal basket, and then turn off the pellets. This is just a matter of putting a firebox and a heat diffuser on the same sliding rod and move the firebox out of the way and the diffuser over the crucible. Like the sliding searing features they've been adding to pellet grills.

Last edited:
Looks to me like there's a firebox that has lump charcoal with chunks.

If that's the case, why not just get a WSM with an ATC .

Ok they must have been shadowing the forum to get that idea......

You can also put a small chimney with lit coals and some wood chunks inside the 700 if you want some of that real wood flavors but the 700 does a pretty good smoke profile.

I posted this some time ago....... IE anyone can do this on any pellet smoker.......

I watched the video . He says never saw brisket with bark from a pellet smoker .

He needs to stop by the house .
1663804098970.jpeg

...why not just get a WSM with an ATC .
ease of use. But regular pellet grills just require you keep the hopper full. Camp Chef probably requires loading a firebox as well. Still it should be easier than loading up a bullet smoker like a WSM.

....... IE anyone can do this on any pellet smoker.......
yes, but you have to separately light it. If using the pellet crucible to get it going, you have to move things around a bit. CampChef possibly has their smoke generator/firebox on a motorized drive so you could "set and forget"...it lights over the crucible then is moved to the side and normal heat diffusers move over the crucible. In the meantime, you've loaded your hopper, your firebox, and have your meat on the grill and are mowing the yard while you monitor it all on your cell phone.

I think there's a market for anything that offers ease of use. Most folks that find an offset or a WSM "fun" have probably already made their purchases. This is for a new, younger market who want Easy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky