1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Camp chef pro SE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BobbyV22, Apr 14, 2019.

1. I set the switch to high smoke and it smokes for about a minute or two then I do not see anymore smoke. When I first started smoking I just set the temp and walked away and the same happened. Can anyone tell me if something is wrong, or if I am doing something wrong? Cooks fine, but I do not get any of the much wanted smoky flavor. I was using apple wood at first then someone said to switch to the hickory for a more smoky flavor. I did and nothing is changing.

2. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hey Bobby, I not a pooper but from what I understand is that pellet smokers don't put out allot of smoke at higher temps. You'll need an auxiliary smoker like a tube to help with the added smoke flavor.

Chris

3. Well the setting on the box says HIGH smoke so I left it there and so some huge amount of smoke then, 2-3 mins later nothing. Happens every time, if that is normal then that stinks. I guess I will go back to babysitting my 55 gallon drum smoker I made. PS, what the heck is a pooper??????

4. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Pellet pooper or pooper another name for a pellet smoker.

Chris

5. markh024

markh024 Meat Mopper

I own a CC as well. The high smoke setting is meant to produce a higher amount of smoke in the general temp areas of 180-225. When you fire it up, yes initially you'll see a ton of smoke and then when it clears, you close your lid. At that point you want it to run another 10-15min to get the temps stabilized. Once that happens your pellet grill will cycle on and off of smoke, it will never continuously smoke on it's own, that is not how it is designed. it is basically an convection oven with added smoke. The high smoke setting will give you a mild smoke flavor on smaller meats or poultry. If you're smoking a big cut (ie butt, brisket,etc) you'll want to invest in an Amazn tube and that should provided constant smoke even while the pellet grill is in the burn cycle. I have had countless smokes on mine with the aid of the tube with plenty of smokey flavor to my meats. Hope this helps.

6. markh024

markh024 Meat Mopper

Additionally your pellet choice will make a huge difference. If you can get Lumberjack pellets, that would be my recommendation. They are 100% pure wood pellets meaning you get 100% hickory or whatever type you buy. Many of the items available at the big boxes and hardware stores are blended and not truly 100%. Apple is extremely mild on a pellet grill, I don't even use it anymore. Also, you will never get the smokiness like you do on an offset, so don't go into the pellet world thinking you will. Sounds to me like you need to invest in a smoke tube, that should help you get that smoke flavor up.

7. Smoke Tube, Roger that. Thanks Mark. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.