Camp chef PG24SG vs PG24ZG (Dick's Sporting Goods)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Skyler

Original poster
Apr 21, 2018
Does anyone know the differences in these models? The "ZG" model is not listed on the Camp Chef Site and the only clear differences I can see is the legs and the warranty (1Y instead of 3). Does that mean it's built with a thinner metal or cheaper material? I've been doing tons of research and can't find any answers.

Probably built to be retailed at Dick's. May or may not be the exact same model & construction with a different number, or it may be different construction. I know that does not help much, but a lot of stores have special model numbers assigned and that way they can deny a price match as it's not the exact same thing. An example is a lot of the TV's at Sam's Club and Costco have a special number or set of letters added to the model and Best Buy and other electronics retailers will not price match. In most of those instances it is the exact same item, just different model number tag.

It might be worth a call to Camp Chef's customer service to ask if the price difference is significant. I would imagine they would tell you the differences in construction if there are any.

Thanks for the response. That's my thought too. I sent a message to Camp Chef but their office is closed until next week. Just curious if anyone had purchased or seen one of the ZGs in person since there's no nearby store that has them at the moment.

Check out the Pellet Grill forum. I asked a similar question a few days ago.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...vs-pit-boss-classic-vs-pit-boss-700fb.274722/

I did email Camp Chef and got the following response.
-------------------
Thank you for your email, yes the ZG is the model grill we manufacture for
Dick's Sporting Goods. The ZG is just like our PG24SG
https://www.campchef.com/pg24sg.html, it will have the slide and grill
technology. if you let me know what specs you would like to know I can see if I
can find that information for you. Let us know if you have any other questions,
have a great day.
----------------------

The SG and ZG are not exactly the same though. Just from the pictures I can see that the bases are different. The SG has L-shaped legs and a bottom shelf while the ZG has square legs that are larger than the DLX legs but no bottom shelf. There were also different specs for many features. I took a picture of the ZG spec sheet at the store and compared it to the SG specs on the website and there are slight differences in capacities. For example ZG 3778 cubic inch - SG 4859, grilling area ZG 776- SG 811, hopper volume ZG 18 lbs - SG 22, ...

It appears to me to be a DLX with the direct heat feature, upgraded legs, a larger upper grill shelf, and upgraded controller with dual meat probes.

Reactions: Skyler
Just curious if anyone had purchased or seen one of the ZGs in person since there's no nearby store that has them at the moment.

Skyler,

Where are your located? Do you have a "Field and Stream" nearby? They are owned by Dick's and that is where I saw one on display.

I was going to say based on the pics I could see the ZG looks smaller then the pg. the zg legs are common for a lot of campchefs smaller grills and difference in cost may be the shelf. The zg looks to be somewhat similar to the woodwind.

Check out the Pellet Grill forum. I asked a similar question a few days ago.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...vs-pit-boss-classic-vs-pit-boss-700fb.274722/

I did email Camp Chef and got the following response.
-------------------
Thank you for your email, yes the ZG is the model grill we manufacture for
Dick's Sporting Goods. The ZG is just like our PG24SG
https://www.campchef.com/pg24sg.html, it will have the slide and grill
technology. if you let me know what specs you would like to know I can see if I
can find that information for you. Let us know if you have any other questions,
have a great day.
----------------------

The SG and ZG are not exactly the same though. Just from the pictures I can see that the bases are different. The SG has L-shaped legs and a bottom shelf while the ZG has square legs that are larger than the DLX legs but no bottom shelf. There were also different specs for many features. I took a picture of the ZG spec sheet at the store and compared it to the SG specs on the website and there are slight differences in capacities. For example ZG 3778 cubic inch - SG 4859, grilling area ZG 776- SG 811, hopper volume ZG 18 lbs - SG 22, ...

It appears to me to be a DLX with the direct heat feature, upgraded legs, a larger upper grill shelf, and upgraded controller with dual meat probes.
Skyler,

Where are your located? Do you have a "Field and Stream" nearby? They are owned by Dick's and that is where I saw one on display.

Unfortunately not. There's a Dick's Sporting Goods however they don't carry the item in store. I'll just have to take a ride a little further out to look in person. I think daverdo hit the nail on the head here. It's like a hybrid version of the deluxe and SG. Might be a great way to have the best of both worlds with a lower price tag than the SG.

The problem I am having is that my store has a ZG for $500 and a closeout on the deluxe for $375. I have Weber gas grill and a wireless temperature probe so do I really need to spend the extra $125.

If only I had that problem. Lol. I plan on adding the search box either way. So I would definitely choose the deluxe if I had the option at 375.

So just a heads up! The ZG dropped another $100 today. It's now $399.98! Daveverdo, Dick's Sporting Goods will give you the difference within 30 days.

Reactions: daveverdo
So just a heads up! The ZG dropped another $100 today. It's now $399.98! Daveverdo, Dick's Sporting Goods will give you the difference within 30 days.

Thanks for the info. I will go to Field and Stream and see what happens.

Went today and got the $100+tax back. No problems. Thanks again for the heads up. I thought $500 for this rig was a reasonable price. $400 is really good in my opinion it is a step up from the 24DLX and that usually goes for above that price point.

Went today and got the $100+tax back. No problems. Thanks again for the heads up. I thought $500 for this rig was a reasonable price. $400 is really good in my opinion it is a step up from the 24DLX and that usually goes for above that price point.

I totally agree. I have mine ordered just have to pick it up. Thanks to everyone for the advice! Happy smoking/grilling.

Home Depot currently has the SG model for $650. I've been planning to get it once I see it on a better sale, but this weekend I found the ZG for $400. As far as I can tell, the only big advantage to the SG over the ZG is the 3 vertical inches of additional cooking space. Today I measured the ZG at my local Dick's and found that there is only about 4.25" of vertical space above the bottom rack with the top rack installed. The top rack only has about 4" of space above it toward the front of the rack. I'm guessing that the best price we'll find on the SG this season would be $550. Here's a question for the group. Would the additional vertical space justify the extra $150 for the SG? I'd imagine that the size of the ZG would allow for doing ribs on the bottom and top racks simultaneously, but what about brisket? I've never smoked one before. Is 4" enough? Can anyone think of additional benefits of the SG over the ZG?

All I can say is I just did my first reverse sear with this and my old propane grill for the sear (waiting on my sear box to be delivered). Even though this has the direct heat feature I love a good sear. Smoked 2 1.5" NY Strips to 110. Then seared them after letting them rest for 10mins. Came out great. Highly recommend the ZG

Attachments

• IMG_20180429_203525.jpg
    IMG_20180429_203525.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 265
Smoked 2 1.5" NY Strips to 110. Then seared them after letting them rest for 10mins. Came out great. Highly recommend the ZG

What temp did you smoke them at to get the 110°? How long? What pellets did you use?

Smoked them at 225 for about 45 mins using competition blend pellets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky