Calling out a SmokeShop for not removing membrane...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Believe the main reason people remove the membrane is their rub won't penetrate the meat. I think that leaving it on retains moisture and just the rub on top of your ribs will give you enough flavor. Used to remove the membrane myself for the above reason, never again.

I removed the membrane a few times, but as everyone knows, getting it off can be rather "fussy," because some membranes are easy to grasp, and come off in long sheets, and others seem to defy all efforts at removal. In the end, I realized I was killing 5-10 minutes on the chore and, since I couldn't get the membrane completely off of many of the ribs, and when I ate them couldn't tell which ones had membranes and which ones didn't, I quit doing it as well.

(Actually, I do still give each rack a chance, and if it comes off right away, I'll take it off, and if it gives me any problem whatsoever, I don't bother.)

Thomas Watkins Thomas Watkins Welcome to SMF.. a few of us have obviously forgotten our manners and sense of humor.:rolleyes:

I for one, got your whimsical natured story right off the bat and I understand where you're coming from. I usually remove the membrane but if some like them left on or just left on until the end, you bought the ribs, cook them the way you like them.

It's gotten to where I almost expect restaurants to leave them on and it does sound like the owner was cool about why he did it and I can't say I blame him. That's why I don't have a restaurant.. too much work and stress, and not enough profit margin.

Anyway, glad to have you here and never be afraid to ask stupid, crazy, dumb questions even if a few nincompoops try to make you feel like you shouldn't have asked it in the first place.;)

I did make a sigh of relief when I discovered that you went ahead and ate them instead of throwing them on the floor:D

Personally I prefer the membrane removed as well. I've heard a lot of high volume smoke houses don't remove the membrane though, kind of like the server told you. It's not a deal breaker as I can usually enjoy them either way since it pulls right off if done right, but I do prefer it removed. That being said if I go back to a place where it wasn't removed, I'll probably order something else like brisket or pulled pork.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky