Calling all Smoke Hollow owners!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

12" AMNTS placed over unused burner and below water pan (heat on the left, smoke on the right).  Worked like a charm.  I may order a 2nd one for longer smokes.  I'm really liking this set up now.  I may try one of the pellet burning trays.
Are you getting uneven chamber temps running only 1 burner ?    i.e., left side much hotter than right?

Are you getting uneven chamber temps running only 1 burner ?    i.e., left side much hotter than right?
I have only done one smoke like this.  Four racks of ribs.  I didn't reposition any of them during cooking.  The bottom rack was a little tougher than the other three, but the other three all turned out pretty evenly cooked.  I'll have a better opinion when I do a couple of smokes without it being as windy.

No hot spots from only burning one burner.  Typical 5-7 degree differences in certain areas.  I had two aluminum pans on the bottom rack that overlapped each other to keep the bottom clean and that was causing one side to run about 13 degrees hotter..  I separated them by about 3/4" and the heat is pretty even now.  The smoke just rolls around and around - I can see it through the window.  I'm getting to know it better and better with each smoke.  I recommend this unit to any one with a bunch of mouths to feed as it holds a lot - but it does use some gas.  I originally posted that it didn't use much.  I was wrong.

OLP finally got their smoker covers in. They have been on back order for quite some time.  Just received mine in the mail today and beats the tarp for sure. Cost about $45.

I recently purchased the 84" 47180T SH. It has an adjustable charcoal tray under the grates. Anyone with this model have any pointers on how to improve smoking ability with the charcoal/offset firebox side of this monster.

I have a SH with three shelves that I have used now for three years; temp control seems stable, walls are well insulated so temp doesn't seem to fluctuate.  The coldest I've used it was twenty degrees with a 10mph wind, held the temp smoking a turkey.  Only dislike is opening the door to check the water bath or add wood, thinking about cutting the door into two sections so I can open only the lower section.  Seems like a no brainer, don't know why they all aren't made this way; probably cost.  I do fish, Boston butt, pork chops, ribs, turkey and chicken.  I have two vintage circa 1972 Luhr Jenson Little Chiefs I do my jerky on; thinking I may try out the SH next time also for the jerky.

Their price on Amazon is $54.  I refuse to pay that much.  My blue tarp with a couple of spring clamps will do just fine. Rather than give them $25 I will buy and smoke three racks of ribs!

Their price on Amazon is $54.  I refuse to pay that much.  My blue tarp with a couple of spring clamps will do just fine. Rather than give them $25 I will buy and smoke three racks of ribs!

I agree with you about the prices. I had puchased a patio chair cover at the end of last year to cover the center console on my boat but found it made a great smoker cover for less than 20 bucks.

Still in the process of deciding whether to even bother covering mine or not.  I have 2 other Smoke Hollow smokers that I've had for more than 10 years.  Both sit out uncovered all year round, through rain, hail, sleet and snow.  Both still work just fine and haven't suffered any noticeable ill effects   :)

My fiancee got me the Model 30168E    for Christmas this year since she knew how much I loved smoking on my 22" Weber.

I must say I truly love this smoker.  only thing I wish is she got a bigger one. Because I use it so often.   I made 3 small modifications to it

First I ditched the wood chip pan.  its to small and worthless IMO.  I then took the water pan and converted that into the wood chip pan by drilling 

a bunch of holes in it. now it will burn longer without having to open the cabinet as often for longer cooks.

Second I drilled a small hole in the side center of the cabinet and inserted a plastic bushing just big enough to accept a electric temperature probe. so I can keep this girl dialed in. The temp gauge on the front is not very accurate. 

Third I removed the vent tube in the back top of the smoker to allow it to breath a little better

I purchased 3 more racks from OLP  and use the very bottom slot to hold my new water pan.   Which now serves dual purpose. The new pan is just big enough to cover the entire rack so no drippings will hit the element or wood chips and snuff them out.

I own a smoke hollow 47183T 4 in 1 combo. There are a lot of mods out there that make this a better unit but I was just wondering if anyone has ever installed a burner to the bottom of the firebox. My plan is to cut a hole in the bottom and install the burner from my old propane smoker. If it doesn't work I can always cover the hole again with sheet metal. Has anyone ever tried this? 

I have a Smoke Hollow 3416G Vertical gas Smoker for about 4 years and Really like it! I have friends with other Brands that are always complaining about the size of theirs and they can't keep the temp and can't cook much . I bought more Racks and Rails for mine so I am using up as much as I can when I do alot of stuff. With the extra racks I have done 12 full slabs of baby backs cut in half  I can get 5 - 1/2 slabs on a rack I did 5 Corned beef briskets this last St Pattys Day,I'll usually do 2 or 3 briskets and 4 Pork shoulders for family parties I wish mine was bigger!!(yea we all say that) I have been looking at maybe getting a new one because the new 3820 has the seperate door for the water /wood  area so you are not loosing the valuable heat everytime you open up the door, and it also has 2 burners which? maybe would help for the winter smokes here in Chi-Town. If I did get a new one I would just use this one as a cold smoker or have 2. people keep telling me they want to hire me to smoke things  for them for parties and stuff

I only run 1 burner most times and I do not have any problems with the side with no heat holding. You must get a maverick 72 therm.That will give you a true reading.

I purchased a 30 gal tank, smoked 2 14lb briskets for about 20 hours, at 220 to 230 and it only took 2.4 gallons. I can not complain. When I turn the valve on the tank, I only open it maybe 10%. Have done hundreds of pounds of meat....never been a problem. I do fill the water tray full of gravel to keep the temps below 200 and just turn the control knob where I need the temp. Once I get the right temp......using everything I stated above, I marke the knob with a yellow color to remind me where to set.....

When using gravel in the water pan, a few questions:

1) Does the gravel get fouled with drippings to the point it gets rancid, puts off excess smoke from the drippings, or needs to be changed out frequently?

2) Do you miss moisture not having water in the box?

Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky