California Dreamin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
So I have 19 days to plan my first cook on my new copper kettle. I’m leaning towards a whole chicken cook. Just for fun I would love to hear some suggestions from all of you about what you would cook first if this was your new Weber kettle. I’m super excited about this awesome gift from my wife. I know lots of super tasting meals are in our future. Have a great weekend everyone.

G

I don't currently have a Kettle. But, when I get one, by this Summer, the recipe below will be my first cook...JJ

Steaks for sure, a little hickory a little suckle busters 1836 rub , if you can get some bark from a shag bark hickory tree you will be amazed what a couple of small pieces will do for flavor on any food when hot grilling

I got a new one about six weeks back. 1st-burger, 2nd-steak, 3rd-chicken. Now it's all broke in, did another burger on it last night. I guess if I had to wait 19 days I'd spatch a chicken and indirect it. Make sure to fire it up for a half hour or so with the lid on to break it in before putting on any meat, want to make sure there's no packing cooties or oil anywhere. RAY

Well there are already plenty of great suggestions here. I really like that pit chicken idea Jimmy. Even though it’s indirect you are still hands on with the frequent basting and the the veggie follow up. Of course I will be doing several cooks that first week. One of those for sure will be burgers. I haven’t grilled any since I ran out of propane in my old gas grill about two months ago. I really appreciate the input. Keep those ideas coming.

G

You like Lamb? Spiedie Kabobs, an Upstate NY favorite, are great too. Marinated Lamb Skewers on an Italian Roll, extra Sauce, is delicious. This recipe is from my Aunt in Endicott NY...JJ

Spiedie Marinade/Sauce

1/2Cup Olive Oil
2Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1Cup Red Wine
1/2Cup Worcestershire
2T Minced Garlic
1/2tsp Dry Basil
1tsp Dry Oregano
2tsp Dry Parsley
1/2tsp Gran. Garlic
1tsp Gran Onion
1/2tsp Red Pepper Flake
1T Salt
1T Sugar
2tsp Black Pepper

Combine all, Mix well and Divide in half to use for Marinade and Sandwich Sauce.

Makes about 3Cups total.

Cut 4-5Lbs Lamb Leg Meat in 1 inch cubes. Add 1/2 the Marinade/Sauce and Marinate for at least 24 hours or up to 3 days.
Place on Skewers and Grill to desired doneness.
Serve on Italian Roll or Bread with additional Sauce.

Congrats on the new kettle, There's no need to do a burn-in on a kettle. Just wash the grate and let her go. Remember it's porcelain. I'm not sure what your tastes are, but if it were me - I go with a fattie or some type of ribs. Whatever you decide on let us know...

Chris

So I have picked up a two pack of whole chickens from Sam’s today. That’s definitely locked in for one of the first cooks. I already have some excellent ground beef on hand for another of those first cooks. I’m seriously thinking about getting a small cast iron pan to cook bacon and other goodies on my kettle. I was looking at some scallops that would pair amazingly with some steaks or the prime rib I am planning on smoking this holiday run. Man this California Dreamin is mighty fun.

G

Cast iron is great in the Kettle, but my favorite pan is a 15" carbon steel paella pan. Once seasoned, it is non-stick and great for grilling or smoking everything from veggies to chicken to pizza. I have two and use them constantly outside and in. Used one twice today; once for a batch of beef jerky and once for dinner to make coconut milk chicken. Pic below is country rib stew about to go on the Kettle.
20160726_155906.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky