Calabrian Nduja Pasta with Fresh Italian Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I love how incredible dishes can be made with a few simple ingredients in Italian cuisine. This dish started off with me realizing I had some homemade marinara in the fridge that I needed to use up. Got me thinking.....Oh-I have fresh Calabrian Italian sausage AND just made some Nduja too and have what was left in the stuffer in the fridge! Perfect!

So here we go...

braised the Calabrian fresh sausage in a pan with enough water to cover the links by half. Poke some holes in the links after the meat sets, then cut the links from the chain. Medium heat low boil until firm. Once the water has boiled off, increase the heat to med.-high and fry links to get some color on them. Move links to outside edge of pan and add sliced onion to middle of pan. this will help to keep splatter down and start caramelizing the onions.
IMG_20220413_211826.jpg

Once sausage has color, remove from pan to cool for slicing. Add sliced garlic. Continue cooking onions until clear and a little brown. Add Nduja and stir in to heat.
IMG_20220413_212306.jpg

Cook 2 minutes then deglaze pan with white wine. Add 1c. marinara and stir in, then add sliced sasuage back to pan. simmer low for 5-10 minutes while you cook the pasta. Serve over pasta...
IMG_20220413_213648.jpg

with fresh grated parmesan reggiano cheese.
IMG_20220413_214024.jpg

Yum! Sooooo Goooood!!!

I really wanted to add some fresh basil to the dish, but it is a monsoon outside right now...and I'd get soaked cutting off the plant outside....

Wow! Man, my stomach growled when I saw that plate! Spivey sausage with that acidic marinara and topped with parm is heaven! Awesome plate, I really want some!

Reactions: indaswamp
Alternatively, you could uncase the sausage to fry in the pan, but since these links were almost frozen still, I just cooked them in the casing.

Made this again tonight. Wow-this is the best batch of Nduja I have made to date! Smokey, Spicy, Funky, Buttery, with off the charts Savory umami!!! I hope I can duplicate this one next time I make it. Flavor is spot on...not too hot, just the right amount of heat that makes it pleasant to eat.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinEdge
WOW!! That looks and sounds fantastic. Italian food being one of my all time favorites, I could tear up a couple tons of that. Very good job and congrats on a much deserved carousel ride.

Robert

Outragious, my kind of meal. Whats interesting is that this same process can be used with many different sausage styles and will many very different tasting meals. Very well done, I could eat a bunch of this, we love pasta here.

WOW!! That looks and sounds fantastic. Italian food being one of my all time favorites, I could tear up a couple tons of that. Very good job and congrats on a much deserved carousel ride.

Robert
Thanks Robert.
Outragious, my kind of meal. Whats interesting is that this same process can be used with many different sausage styles and will many very different tasting meals. Very well done, I could eat a bunch of this, we love pasta here.
Thanks Nefarious. This is an authentic dish from the Calabrian region of Italy.

Reactions: Nefarious
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky