Cabbage rolls two ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
I made up some cabbage rolls and decided I wanted to try something a little different.

I did a pork sausage and beef mixture with rice for the filling.
1205201618.jpg

For one pan I made a white sauce. It consists of sauteing some shallots in butter then making a roux with some flower. I then deglazed the pan with some white wine and then added heavy cream and let it thicken. It was seasoned with salt and white pepper. In the other pan a layer of sauerkraut.
1206201758a.jpg

Next I got the leaves ready for stuffing by boiling the head of cabbage until the leaves came off easily one by one
1206201813.jpg
1206201903b.jpg

Stuffed and rolled then placed into their appropriate pans
1206201848.jpg
1206201924a_HDR.jpg

Then they were topped with sauce. The red sauce is a simple sauce. It's basically a can of tomato soup with Worcestershire sauce added. Then the other one got more of the white sauce. The white sauce had thickened up a bit but I knew after baking it would thin out quite a bit. They then went into a 375-degree oven covered with foil.
1206201929_HDR.jpg
1206201929.jpg

Out of the oven.... Well I was right the white sauce thined out big time!
1206202152_HDR.jpg

We had the red ones that night over a big pile of mashed potatoes and they were delicious! A few nights later I warmed up the purple cabage ones and made some more of the white sauce to top them with. After baking for so long the sauce seperated so bad there was no saving it. This was the batch that was an experiment so live and learn I guess!

Here they are with a twice baked potato. The potatoes were just some frozen ones you pop in the oven to heat up.
1212202120c.jpg

They were really really good!! I didnt expect much but they were like a mash up of cabbage rolls and sweetish meatballs. I'll definitely revisit this and make a few improvements. I'm glad I tried something different on these.

Thanks for taking a look!

Ah,,, love cabbage rolls... especially re-heated on fifth day.... do yourself favor... slide some smok bacon thick slices in between rolls.... or cold smoked pork ribs...
A little bacon would be nice!

Hell Yeah!
Those look delicious!
Nice job on those for sure.

I haven't done cabbage rolls in n too long a time.
Gonna have to buy some ground lamb or veal and change that.
Thanks chile! Ground lamb sounds real good!

Looks Great, Travis!! Like.
Your bottom Full Tray looks exactly like the ones I get here.
We call them "Halupkis" from the Ladies that were making them for me.
I only have one supplier left:
3 of them were Old Ladies, bringing me a batch when each one came here for Mrs Bear to do their Income Taxes.
One died @ 94, about 10 years ago (Polish)
One Died about 4 years ago @ 95 (Ukrainian & Hungarian)
One died of Covid-19 in April @ 93 (Hungarian)
Only one left is Bethany (Bear Jr's Wife). Hers aren't as good as the others, but each batch gets better. She'll get there soon enough. The other 3 had a lot more years of practice!!! Bethany is only 44.

Bear

Looks Great, Travis!! Like.
Your bottom Full Tray looks exactly like the ones I get here.
We call them "Halupkis" from the Ladies that were making them for me.
I only have one supplier left:
3 of them were Old Ladies, bringing me a batch when each one came here for Mrs Bear to do their Income Taxes.
One died @ 94, about 10 years ago (Polish)
One Died about 4 years ago @ 95 (Ukrainian & Hungarian)
One died of Covid-19 in April @ 93 (Hungarian)
Only one left is Bethany (Bear Jr's Wife). Hers aren't as good as the others, but each batch gets better. She'll get there soon enough. The other 3 had a lot more years of practice!!! Bethany is only 44.

Bear
Thanks Bear! I wish I could have some authintic Halupkis! These were good but they could be better!

Travis, I just love cabbage rolls, I don’t care what you put in them they are always good to me. The one’s you made are awesome!!!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky