Cabbage rolls two ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Travis, I just love cabbage rolls, I don’t care what you put in them they are always good to me. The one’s you made are awesome!!!
Al
Thanks Al! We really enjoyed both kinds. The ones with the white sauce were real good and something a little different!

I have seen dozens of recipes for Stuffed Cabbage. All of them topped with Diced Tomatoes or Tomato Sauce....But...Other than My Mother's Recipe, I have Never seen Stuffed Cabbage made with TOMATO SOUP!!! That is Awsome, my friend, and I have a real good idea how they tasted!...JJ

I have seen dozens of recipes for Stuffed Cabbage. All of them topped with Diced Tomatoes or Tomato Sauce....But...Other than My Mother's Recipe, I have Never seen Stuffed Cabbage made with TOMATO SOUP!!! That is Awsome, my friend, and I have a real good idea how they tasted!...JJ
Thanks JJ! I got the idea from the way my mom used to make porcupine meatballs when we were kids. Tomato soup and Worcestershire sauce actually makes a great sauce for them. Along with the sourkrout its perfect! And easy!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
The White Sauce breaking was from the Heavy Cream. A bit of Heavy cream added to a BECHAMEL made with Milk is fine. But ALL Heavy Cream, does not have the Water content for the Starch to hold bound and emulsify with all the Fat.
The Tiny bit of Water in Cream cooked Out, and there was nothing left but little granules of cooked Starch, swimming in an Oil Slick. Make a Basic BECHEMEL with Shallot, Wine, etc. But no more than 20% Heavy Cream, if any, added and you will have a more stable Sauce...JJ

The White Sauce breaking was from the Heavy Cream. A bit of Hey cream added to a BECHAMEL made with Milk is fine. But ALL Heavy Cream, does not have the Water content for the Starch to hold bound and emulsify with all the Fat.
The Tiny bit of Water in Cream cooked Out, and there was nothing left but little granules of cooked Starch, swimming in an Oil Slick. Make a Basic BECHEMEL with no more than 20% Heavy Cream, if any, and you will have a more stable Sauce...JJ
Awesome! Thanks for this JJ! I'm so used to making a cream sauce in a pan on the stove top and usually use heavy cream. I'll use a basic bechemel next time!

Happy to help. I forgot to add, you can still add the Shallots, Wine and anything else, you like...JJ

Reactions: Sowsage
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky